The Existence Continuum

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by KraziHare, May 9, 2003.

1. This thread's for those of you that enjoy delving into the realms of existentialism, creation and theology, whether or not you believe in any particular god (for the record, I'm agnostic). I think maybe Digit, Cottons or HateBreeder might be interested in this one, as they've all started threads on similar subjects. Now for the interesting part; I've come up with a theory of my own that, despite how ludicrous it sounds at first, explains quite a bit about the universe and how we might have came to be; but more importantly it actually explains in loose terms how we might actually have a purpose (as to whether or not we need one, well, that's not the point of this, so say what you wish but that's not what I've set out to explain). For this to make any amount of sense, however, I'll need to explain a few fundemental concepts that lead to my theory, unfortunately these concepts can't be substantiated any better than my entire theory as they're built on logic and the recognition of certain patterns; i.e. you'll need to keep an open mind.
    The first concept you'll need to take into account is the idea that nothing is ultimately the largest or smallest, in any terms. What I'm trying to say is that no matter how you try to percieve the universe, essentially there's an eternity going in at least two directions; smaller and larger. Try to imagine a two dimensional triangle or funnel that stretches for an eternity on each end, here's a visual representation (though it's a tad bit difficult to visualize eternity, this will do).

-----------------------<
    -------------------<--<
    --------------<-------<
    --------<-------------<
    ---<------------------<
    <---------------------<
    ---<------------------<
    --------<-------------<
    --------------<-------<
    -------------------<--<
    -----------------------<

Now, understanding this (whether or not it's actually true), imagine that in it's 'natural' state this funnel shaped universe is comprised of all the elements that exist on our particular level of existence (as well as all others), free flowing in two directions in some sort of general harmony, if not any discernable pattern. Now imagine if something took a huge chunk of this free flowing ever-aether and compressed it into a big, useless gob, then took that gob and seperated it into a pattern; pieces that could be placed together to make cause and effect possible. It would also be placed into a pattern that was congruous with the rest of the unadulterated funnel; staying seperate while not interfering with the flow, as to whether you could do it while also interrupting the flow of the aether funnel, I can't guess. This grand seperation of elements, which would include everything we percieve; time, space, and every sort of physical matter that we know of would be what we understand to be 'the big bang'. The element 'energy' actually being the ongoing manifestation of the original force of will that caused this to happen slowly dwindling away through time and the forces of entropy. Which would mean that everything we know of, stars, planets, solar systems, galaxies, etc. are actually something that was set in motion like clockwork, one amazingly well planned out action that caused everything to work together in harmony. The energy that supports intelligent life being little bits that we get through any sorts of means. We may feed off of other living things but that's just life supporting itself, originally our particular energy came from the sun. Now, understanding how existence may have come to be, the question remains; 'why?'. Well, I believe I have an inkling of a notion of an answer but I don't have the time at the moment, so I'll have to get to that in my next installment which I'll post later today. I know this might be a tad bit complicated but if you're interested at all please tell me what you think and point out any gaps in my logic so that I may fill them, though I don't plan on leaving anything out once I write the rest of it. Just to make sure I'll try to bump the thread once or twice to ensure some responses.

-I'm out-

edit: removed the first part since this was already moved to spirituality/philosophy

2. just discovered this before i was gonna head to bed, i'll get back to respond in more depth later. but i like it, i think i follow it, and i think it could use a massively diverse expansion.

3. oh, believe me, there is much more to be said, and it only get's more abstract and strange from here, I'm planning on adding at least two more installments on my theory, hopefully more people will notice it as I add things