The Empire State

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MountyBounty, Apr 13, 2009.

1. #1 MountyBounty, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
    Not only does New York have some of the highest taxes in the country, but now they are beginning to tax cigarettes, soda, and Cell Phones to an extreme point. Here is how the new cell phone tax rate in the state.

With all this tax money the State of New York should be doing good during this depression, right?

Guess not.

Maybe the redistribution of wealth doesn't work too well after all

2. You're using the projected debt of 2007 to criticize current tax policy in 2009?

Does not compute.

So the current tax has somehow manipulated spacetime, to increase the debt in the past?

3. ^^^ I couldn't find the projected debt for NY state for the 2009 fiscal year. I am assuming though that the debt is still growing and they are no where near a balanced budget.

4. #4 garrison68, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
    Some of this is taxation on non-essential services. People do not have to buy soda or use a cell phone, so if they do not want to pay the tax they can just not purchase these products. When NY residents order from Amazon, even if the items are from other states, they now have to pay NYS tax. New York lost countless thousands of jobs, many offices, and entire large corporations like Lehman Brothers. The state has to make up for the loss of income taxes of individuals who became unemployed, pay for their unemployment insurance, and probably other burdens on the taxpayers in the state. New York is also the number one target in the country for terrorists and has to stay on top of that.

5. They also needed to build two brand new stadiums in NYC this year to replace the two that were gathering some dust on them. **ouch**

Can you say bad timing?

6. I agree.

7. Are you a Mets or Yankees fan?

I loved the nostalgic decrepidness of Shea... and the smells...oo the smells...

Mmm... feral cat piss.... :p

8. Neither. I have never been to either Shea, or Yankee, Stadium. I've been to some of the Cyclones' minor league games in Keyspan Park, Coney Island.

Even though the Dodgers left Brooklyn over 50 years ago, the Yankees are still looked upon as rivals by many people here and some are even Red Sox fans! :hello:

The man who is most hated by old (and some young) Brooklyn Dodgers fans is Walter O'Malley. He orchestrated the team's move to Los Angeles.

9. California is feeling it to.

The dodgers moving to Los Angeles was a good economic move. Them along with the Angels and Yankees, and one other team I can't remember have the highest consistant stream of large amounts of fans.

10. That all gov thinks, Tax is the best solution to save our economy.
    TAXES! BABY TAXES!