The Drug War

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LSYouTiger, Jun 5, 2012.

1. I think I have figured out the government's plan.

The US has dominated the New World. It doesn't heavy influence in the region from Europe or Asia. The US needs a weak Mexico to keep any possible threat of invasion at a minimal. The drug war helps meet this goal. By outlawing drugs in the US, they must come from south of the border. By declaring a War on Drugs, we have enlisted help from the Mexican army and we have trained them and given them the resources they need. What we have done is created a country constantly at war with itself. Drug Cartels and the government are constantly fighting for control. We are also funding both sides of the conflict by funding the government's military. And the drug money that flows out of the country. The obvious way to end the conflict is to decriminalize or legalize all drugs. Their would be no war on drugs anymore. But that wouldn't be good because Mexico would actually begin to improve which some might say is a threat to National Security.

Governments have power in regions where they can enforce their laws. Before the 1920s, crime did not really exist. Crimes were not nearly as common as they are today. During prohibition, Organized crime became the new thing. Had it not been for prohibition, these mobs may never have gotten their power. Today, they organize Labor Unions and practically make employees submit to them.

Similar with gangs today. They get their money through drugs. We all know of the wars these create within the same organization and with police. By outlawing drugs, you have created a need for police.

to enforce laws, you need policemen. What better way to do that than make popular substances illegal. By doing this, you have created a reason to increase police departments.

Before the 20s, their were not nearly as many policemen, because crimes were not as common. By outlawing alcohol and later drugs, we have created an excuse for the government to employee thousands of policemen that would not be needed if these substances were legal, or decriminalized.

This war on drugs is simply an excuse to increase police presence in your neighborhood.

http://www.jrsa.org/programs/Historical.pdf

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. And feed the prison industrial project.

3. It also gives a reason to create an entirely new agency of the government. The DEA has over 10,000 employees and has a budget over $2.4 billion a year. All to accomplish absolutely nothing except oppression of people domestically and propping up of cartels internationally. It's a fucking joke.

4. The DEA has over 10,000 employees and has a budget over $2.4 billion a year. All to accomplish absolutely nothing

Should be a sig

5. Douche-bags
    Enforcing
    Asinine-laws

6. Putting you in prison is big business in America.

7. Especially when they are for-profit prisons...:eek:

8. That is also a huge issue with the drug war. There is one prison corporation that has spent 19 million on lobbiest.

9. In Amerika, you feed prison system.

10. I got a play list on youtube.

Private for profit prisons are something I'm determined to expose and fight with my last drop of blood if need be. ;)

Slaves in Private Prisons - YouTube

11. "So when you try to close the border, and don't let us in;
    I'll overthrow California with 20 million Mexicans!" ~ Immortal Technique

seemed related.

But op i was just thinking about that the other day, how we want a poor central/south america

12. eventually this shits gonna hit a breaking point, the cartels have basically taken over central and south america. its pretty fuckin obvious what they wanna do next

the crazy thing is that theyre are not like the criminals in the united states, they could literally have a war with the U.S military

13. Yeah, an all out war they would lose horribly.

Its true that compared to other organizations of the same type, they outclass them all as far as capability to use violence. But there is not a single organization in the world that is currently outclassing the united states government in sheer ability to murder people.

14. yeah its a numbers game, individually, cartel members are more ruthless and powerful than a marine is.

as a whole its a different story

15. OP: You have quite a few good points, but one I would like to point out as to why this war will continue is that it is a morality war. Keeping the country divided on small issues that are hotly debated keeps everyone from getting together to attack real problems. I'm not saying this isn't a huge issue, but that it's also a two-edge sword that keeps people polarized from one another.

16. drug peace

17. #17 TheDankery, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
    It's clear to everyone that the drug war - which would more accurately be called the pretend war on some drugs or the war on the undercaste, but I digress - has utterly failed at its stated objectives. Drugs are very much available to anyone to wants them, in purer form, in larger quantities for a cheaper price than they were prior to the beginning of this war. Further, it's evident that the war has actually been counterproductive in reaching its claimed goals. I don't need to lay out all of the failures of the war because they're readily apparent, countless and you probably already know them.

So why does the war continue, given that it has actually worsened most problems associated with drugs? Since the war is failing at its stated goals, it must be successful at some other, unstated goals for it to have lasted this long at this high of a cost.

What are these unstated goals? The New Jim Crow lays out a very solid explanation.

Totalitarian states massacre their undesirables or just force them to leave. Civil societies like ours don't do that. We instead lock up our undesirables en masse. If this isn't the goal of the drug war, what is? To butcher and oversimplify the book, the war has been totally unsuccessful at solving the unsolvable "drug problem". It has been totally successful at incarcerating poor people - largely black and Hispanic men - in incredible quantities. Alexander argues the the drug war has rolled back many of the advances of the black civil rights movement.

How could the drug war still go on today if this were not its goal? Why else would an utterly Sisyphean, clearly counterproductive waste go on like this? I can only think of one parallel to the drug war in America, which would be our education system - which is fairly poor at actually educating, but great at teaching obedience and instilling servility - but that's another topic.

It's quite remarkable what the drug war has done south of the border.

So countries which consume drugs - like America - enjoy the benefits of the drug trade, like the billions of dollars it brings in, while countries which produce drugs - like Colombia - experience the very worst costs of the drug trade, like all of the horror and death that comes with narcoterror. The positives of prohibition are for consuming states, while the negatives are suffered by producing states.

And that's not even to mention the prison industrial complex, which has already been brought up here. Or the influence of the pharmaceutical industry, beer and tobacco companies, and so on.

tl;dr: A complex web ensures the continuation of this pretend, utterly counterproductive, failed war.

18. The war on drugs is one of the most ingenious and incredible systems of social control and exploitation ever devised in human history.

You got to give it that

19. Yes it is. But its falling apart because people are realizing that they are paying for it.