The Drug War’s Dubious Foundations

Discussion in 'General' started by rubbs, Feb 3, 2011.

1. :wave:
    The Drug War's Dubious Foundations by Jacob H. Huebert

"Cocaine and narcotics prohibition came about for dubious reasons – pleasing China, the pharmaceutical industry's desire to eliminate competition, bigotry, World War I, and fanatical temperance activists – but the decision to prohibit marijuana was even less justifiable.

In 1930, the government established the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, led by Commissioner Harry Anslinger. In his position, Anslinger essentially decided who could legally manufacture narcotics for medical purposes in the United States, and he granted that privilege to just a handful of companies. In exchange for favorable treatment, these companies would otherwise do Anslinger's bidding; specifically, they would provide Congressional testimony as needed, including, when Anslinger wanted it, testimony as to the great potential harm of marijuana."

"A 1934 St. Louis Post-Dispatch article described the effects of marijuana:
    [T]he physical attack of marijuana upon the body is rapid and devastating. In the initial stages, the skin turns a peculiar yellow color, the lips become discolored, dried and cracked. Soon the mouth is affected, the gums are inflamed and softened. Then the teeth are loosened and eventually, if the habit is persisted in, they fall out. . . . [People in traveling jazz bands] take a few puffs off a marijuana cigarette if they are tired. . . . It gives them a lift and they can go on playing even though they may be virtually paralyzed from the waist down, which is one of the effects marijuana can have."
    ^^^ i've lost half my teeth already:rolleyes:

mods feel free to move thread or delete if breaks "other drugs" rule