The Dream

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ElRanchoDeluxe, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Hey man, it could be used to run 277v ballasts. Although not all 3 phase will be able to. I had to get a step down transformer so it can run 120/240. This was mostly due to my HVAC needing 240. I will be running standard 240v ballasts.

In other news, I got most of the wall up between the two flower rooms. Hooked up another window that is ready to mount fans and ducting to.

My mini split condensers are actually going to be placed indoors and setup with its own exhaust/thermostat. This is being done due to the cold climate I live in.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I just installed my mini splits, was a pain in the ass but a definite learning experience. One thing I didn't account for was my TOTAL BTU's of heat being put out by all my equipment like dehumidifier.

Found this calculator after the fact! BTU Calculator | Sunlight Supply

Can't wait to see your space all setup!

3. Nice man. Seems like making the proper flange on the copper tubing is the touchy part?
    Luckily, I have a really cool HVAC guy. I helped him put up a couple heads so far. Should have it running this week. Waiting on 3 phase parts, it should be done mid July.
    I did come across that calculator in my research. I have around 3k btus extra for each room according to that calculator. I'm also going to bring in outside air that will be below 78F about 95% of the time. I'm hoping I won't need a dehumidifier because of this? My HVAC dude thinks I'm good. But that's a shit ton of soil...lol.

I'm having a hard time loading pics. Feel like things are coming along though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The connections was the tricky part. If you don't have those copper pipes flared correctly and really tight, going to end up venting your refrigerant out and then you might have to vac it all out and refill with brand new refrigerant. At least you have a Hvac guy, did mine solo and that wasn't the smartest move lol.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Are you running your condensers outside? Managed to get a couple pics to go through.

• Like Like x 2
  6. When we installed our system last fall I did a lot of the grunt work but absolutely had my HVAC guy do the flaring and connections and I'm SO glad we did. I can always do basic plumbing, soldering, basic electrical but I just didnt want to mess with the technical end of this system, especially since we went with a 4 zone "whole house" system.

Ours is in the shaded side of the home also.

J

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hey guys, now I'm curious if either of you are using the mini as an a/c or heat pump during the winter?

Reason I ask, is because I will be running my condensers indoors and cooling them with it's own fan. I'm under the impression that minis fail to operate when temps get below zero?

I'm definitely going to post pics and try to explain my HVAC setup once I get it rolling. Thanks guys.

RD

• Like Like x 1

• Absolutely heat in the winter and AC (as needed) in summer.

My Daiken 36,000 (or is it 45?) BTU 4 Zone heat pump will operate and produce heat at -15 degrees below zero. I've had it running in these temps and it ran like a champ.

No - not optimal of course and I think it does its best work above 20F but it certainly does its job.

We run a woodstove all winter which basically heats the entire house but it's great to know that I can leave during the winter and the house will be fine. For the last 12 years we've run an outdoor wood boiler which worked excellent - man did that sucker heat the heat pump/woodstove combo is much better for me now.

The AC in the summer is just an added bonus IMO.

J

• Like Like x 2
  8. My Mini's are dual, Heat & AC. The only thing I could find is my condenser is good till 22F. I have Gree brand, 2 zone mini split (24k). One 12k unit in the grow room and one in the kitchen. Actually cools my whole house and the one in the GR is keeping temps 81-83 with 4x 1k cool tubes.

I don't know what your winters are like but I do know you can purchase a heating coil that goes on your refrigerant pipes connecting to the condenser so it doesn't freeze over when temps drop outside. That was my main issue during a colorado winter, would have all the AC units (regular kind, not minis) freezing over. I solved the problem by installing 10" intake fans and cooled with free outside air lol.

I have since moved back to the southeast and the winters here aren't as harsh as CO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I just checked mine and it's actually good for -13 below zero.

IMG_3728.JPG

It's a good thing, too. It gets darn cold here some nights in deep winter.

J

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hey guys really appreciate hearing your experience with minis. Seems like I'm taking the right approach to this. I'm in Montana and it's common to see -25F. It's gone weeks where it never gets above 0.

Do you guys run your condensate line to waste or fill up your rez with it?

I built a closet next to a window for my condensers. The top part of the window will exhaust with a 2400cfm direct drive propeller fan. The bottom part of the window will be hooked up with (2) 8" ducts. One will run to each flower room as intake. Two more 8" ducts will run from each flower room and will attach to the closet with the condensers. These two ducts will serve as exhaust for the flower rooms/ but also act as the intake for the condenser closet before being blown out the window.

The fan is variable speed and I will be placing an adjustable vent on the closet wall just in case I need to adjust airflow. My goal is to be as efficient as possible while making the winter/summer adjustment as painless as possible.

I realize it may be hard to visualize...but what do you guys think?

11. What I'm seeing is it won't want to cool below 50F either.

12. My condensation just drains outside. Sorry but it is hard to visualize - my main unit just hangs off the side of the house with the indoor units just wall mounted close to the ceiling and connected with supply/return frown lines - I'm not sure what you've got? Maybe a pic?

J

13. Definitely not - my thermostat actually only goes as low as 64 degrees and works off of a remote control...

J

14. I drain to waste. I either use filtered tap water or rainwater for my grow.

I would place your intake somewhere else if possible. The Condensers and exhaust from 2x flower rooms is going to keep that closest pretty warm if not hot. Could end up warming your intake tube and the air inside of it. I always try to have air flowing in and out on opposite sides so the air moves across the room, front to back. Just my way of doing things, I know there are countless pictures of exhaust and intake right next to each other in windows but that never made sense to me...wouldn't you be sucking in some of that heat and used up air?

15. Sorry Jerry. I meant 50f outside... according to that spec sheet. That could happen at night here on any given day. I'll post pics of everything in the next week or two.

16. I think I'm gonna need to post some pics of this. Or just draw it out. I do hear your concerns and they are appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1