Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The downsides of using tin foil for a bowl?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by MulaMitch, Oct 11, 2009.

1. #1 MulaMitch, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    Just curious. I have no sockets here and really wanna spark up this bowl, well.. honestly I am going to regardless but I just want to know why using foil as the screen or bowl is so horrible. If you light the bud and not the foil it shouldn't really matter.. should it?

PS. Some reliable source would be nice.

2. bro thats what im trying to do. thats why i made that post on help finding a thread cuhz it had this really nice bong out of a water bottle but i didnt know what to use. fuck. so now im just staring at weed.

3. Flame of a bic lighter is 1900C. Aluminum vaporizes between 1100C and 1800C. I googled this info up, and so can you. Just because the flame is that hot doesn't mean you're going to apply that much heat directly to the foil, but since aluminum vapor is seriously toxic, why would you take the chance?

Typical baking application for aluminum foil is around 175C, so I don't buy the "you bake with it so you can smoke with it" argument. The temps are off by an order of magnitude.

4. Whatcha got in the fridge? Carrot? Apple? Potato? Search on Youtube carrot chillum or apple bong.

5. Knife hits bro.

6. i use the cable end from those tv cables for a bowl (not with the cable attached of course) and aluminum foil as a screen, can he use that or is that unhealthy

7. God I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation. Aluminum has a melting point of 660.37 Celsius and a boiling point of 2467 Celsius. If you are smoking a bowl the chances of you heating the aluminum to 660 are very slim (constant flame isn't necessary) as you wouldn't be capable of holding a bowl that was 190 degrees Celsius without burning the ever loving shit out of yourself. The foil would have to melt before it could boil (or vaporize) so. Unless you smoke using a blowtorch and wearing a weilder's glove you don't have to worry about "vaporizing" the foil.

Ferfucksake people buy a fucking clue.

8. And you my friend, just made my fucking day. And this bowl taste sooo much better now. :smoking:

9. just buy a piece man! you can get one for less than 20 dollars at any shop!

10. Always good policy to pick the answer that tells you what you want to hear. He must be right since he was so vehement.

11. No offense or nothing, but think about it... putting the lighter to the bud real quick so it cherries does not get the foil to the temperature your saying.. no need to be upset and I appreciate the help brotha. :smoking:

12. Yeah, I pretty much said exactly that, my premise being: why take the chance. If I had some bud and nothing to smoke it with, I'd probably be okay with taking the chance myself. God knows I've done it before.

13. if your doing it one or two times, then go ahead, really wont have any negative effects on your body. Do not make it a regular thing though. I speak from personal experience, when I say that it does cause more memory loss then smoking bud in devices actually made for smoking. Before I turned 18, and had not yet gotten my corn cob pipes, I was using tin foil for about 1-2 months, 2-3 times a week. I could see a big, big difference in short term memory loss as compared to when I switched back over to safe smoking devices.

14. #14 DemonChild, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    List showing the properties of foil. Melting point is clearly marked
    Aluminium - Attributes and Properties of Aluminium Foil

go to the sectoin labeled "9. Physical and Chemical Properties"
    ALUMINUM METAL (WIRE, FOIL, SHOT)

bottom of the page shows a table with info about Aluminum foil including melting and boiling points.
    American Elements: Aluminum Foil Supplier & Tech Info

So what are your sources?

smoking pot during puberty effects short term memory much more dramatically than smoking after puberty. your anecdotal evidence isn't really all that helpful for that reason. Hell my dad made regularly used foil for a bowl while he was over seas in the military and he's a fucking chemist. Get a grip.

15. I can't find them. Congratulations, you win one internet. Your righteous douchbaggery was justified!

16. correcting misinformation with cold hard fact makes me a douchebag? What does spreading false info and urban myth make you?

17. i have glass. no need to kill your brain cells anymore than you got to with mj

18. as long as hes over the age of 18.

19. i hope you're not repeating the myth that marijuana itself kills brain cells.

20. if you have to resort to using foil, before you make the pipe, go over the piece of foil with the lighter on each side for about 30 seconds, youll see a smoke comming off of it and thats most of the nasty chemicals burning off