The Doors of Perception

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by DBV, Jul 29, 2011.

1. I've just finished this short book named "The Doors of Perception". It is a very interesting read that I suggest for anyone that is interested in an enlightened view on pschoactive substances. Anyways, I wanted to share this excerpt found toward the end of the read that I found very interesting:

There is a few more paragraphs I'll probably post in the next post but I just wanted to see what peoples opinions are on this man's opinion. I think his opinion holds very strong merit that many people seem to ignore. We all try to define our experience instead of looking at things as they truly appear. Words are good for relating experience to others, but just how far do we need to take our concept of language/speech?

(sorry for the long mid-paragraph. That's how a lot of the paragraphs are in the book unfortunately)

2. We try to define our experience to the best of our abilities by recalling what truly appeared. Sadly recalling experiences exactly as they happened is a hard thing to do for a lot of people.

3. Why do people read biographies/autobiographies? Why do people watch interviews about people and their lives? It can be inspiring to look at someone's personal experience and actually learn something for yourself.....take that information and apply it to your own life.

That is what I convey to young readers about fiction as well. Although it is 'made-up', the author has a message about life that he/she is trying to convey. So although reading stories is entertaining, the author has a purpose beyond entertaining. It is very hard for kids to learn how to do that because it involves them analyzing the 'whole' of the story to draw the meaning out. Once they learn how though, they take off with it.

Language IS limiting...and semantics play an important role in distingiushing meaning of said experience.

Technology has the potential for bridging the gap in people's collective consciousness and perhaps with the advent of virtual realities, etc...a person will be able to experirence events as other people did....THEIR reality....their personal experience...or even a programmed experience. Thats sounds pretty dangerous and interesting at the same time.

Sharing an experience through virtual reality=shared perception.

4. This one has reached 'Sacred Text" status in my Library.

5. I believe you mean language is limited. Since not having language is more limiting, language is limited but it is not limiting; it is liberating us from the alternative.
    Ah, the tribulations of language. :D

Anyway, while I appreciate Huxley's books, and I deeply enjoyed Brave New World and Island, two excellent books. This book was good none-the-less, but I disagreed with him on a few points. At one time he alludes to something along the lines of people like the look of precious metals because it reminds them of the spiritual world or of psychedelic experience . I honestly think that people liked the look of precious metals because they didn't see them very often and had never seen something with such color and shine. It was a rarity that they could show their friends.
    Even though glass is fairly common presently, it was still a commodity in the middle ages; Huxley speaks of the cathedrals being adorned with stained glass. I think this is arisen from the same context. It was somewhat rare amongst the lower classes, but not rare enough to where they couldn't plaster it on their whole church and make a wondrous scene for the peasants.
    Neon was sweet because it was the first thing that actually had that glow that he speaks of in his trip report. It actually transcended the glass it was in and required no energy from the sun to create it's luminescence. It also came in all colors.

I don't think these things were awesome because of a spiritual connection. I think they were awesome because of their commodity. Precious metals today are still sought after because of their rarity, not so much their gleam. We've seen much more wondrous things than a shiny rock.

6. Yes, I used limiting because it cannot convey an exact experience....you got the idea.

A very good writer can get close...They can put you there with description....but that is why I went on to talk about virtual reality...possibilty of the exact experience.

7. #7 DBV, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
    I understand your interpretation, but I think it really just depends on the person.. really any mineral could create a spiritual connection in me since my mind often erases the illusion of separation. But it really just depends how the person chooses to experience such form.

BTW, I'll be posting the rest once I get home for those interested. Have you read Heaven and Hell Bumtildeath? I'm contemplating whether to read it or move on...

8. It's basically a continuation of The Doors of Perception. If you liked the former, you will enjoy the later. I liked Heaven & Hell better because it's not as "trip-report"y.

9. Yea, that's what I read on amazon.. sounds good. I'll check it out. Thanks bud.

10. Love this essay. One of my favorite. Aldous Huxley + mescaline = beautiful literature. Also read Heaven and Hell if you haven't by him. I love that the Doors got their name from this too.

11. ^^What if Jim Morrison and Don Juan (author-Castenada) had ever gotten together on a 'ride'.....wouldve liked to have been in on THAT

12. #12 DBV, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011
    Some day humans will all be cyborgs with matrix like insertion points (only much smaller. I'm thinking USB, but perhaps smaller) that allow you to upload/download software to your flash drive. I'm sure your biopragramming would be involved with this uploading process.. (Programs, metaprograms, and self-metaprogramming) Perhaps inter-changing these chips will allow us to experience others perception? That's one BIG door that we'll just have to wait and see if it opens in our lifetime. Interesting/dangerous indeed. :smoke:

Imagine programming your own drugs.. lol.

13. One way or another...We WILL be assimilated...lol....

I dont know if I like the sound of that....if thats what Unity Consciousness has in store then Im not gettin' on....thats artificial though. Thats called 'control' in my book....Sometimes the future holds too MUCH potential.

I think technology is growing faster than the average human level of consciousness....and that has the potential for very bad things indeed .....talk about New World Order....yeah. Like Facebook and Google combined...all under the guise of automated ease....people wont realize the danger until they are too linked in to get out.

Then there will be no 'off the grid'....they'll hunt you down...sounds like a movie.....Terminator AND the Matrix.....uuughhhh. Maybe I should shut up now...lol.