The continuum of opposites

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Oct 22, 2008.

1. To understand an object and to understand its opposite (or apparent negation) is to truly understand that object.

2. One can only truly know peace once one has felt the depths of suffering.

3. Makes the transition from being in the depths of suffering due to the mind to moksha from mindlessness alot more probable and profound, but I don't feel it is the only way.

4. ^I agree

I do not think those who have reached the 'ultimate' peaceful state had to also experience it's opposite (in this case, experiencing it is the only knowing)

true opposites have absolutely nothing in common - and that is their bond...so yes bkadoctaj (first time I ever wrote your name without looking back to check) I would say that to truly understand something is to understand it's opposite - but you do not necessarily have to know something to understand it

what is the difference between knowing and understanding? (not hypothetical, i'm interested in your views)

5. It rolls off the tongue like this: bee-kay-ay doc-tuh jay. Not bkdoctaj like I sometimes see.

6. yea that's how it is in my head now

7. I may know that there are letters that form words but I do not understand the reason why. Perhaps that is the most viable difference; the why or the reason. Knowing and understanding can be interpreted as one in the same, yet often there is a variety of differences.
    Take, for example, the turmoil between people of opposite economic class. The opposite situations of such people allow them to know one anothers way of living, but can they understand one another? It would take the reading of a narrative to understand an opposite way of life (Mary Rowlandson) and to also understand why people think, act, or speak differently.
    Two people may claim to speak english, but can make no sense to one another; they know that the other person is speaking english, but they don't understand the reason it is so different from their dialect. They know that it has to do with their culture, environment, and influences. They, however, do not understand this.

In order to understand, we must forget that we know.

8. Wow. :) Well said...

9. the reason for the kali yuga and procession to the golden age. humanity as a whole must learn this lesson.

10. You going to learn it with us? I think humanity as a whole means everyone.

11. im part of humanity arent i?

12. The knowing part, yes.

13. ha Clever.

! or ?

14. I remember...

YOU won't play this game of false dichotomy!

But you will play the game of magical illusion? :rolleyes:

:wave:

15. Yes :)

16. No. ;)

17. And so goes the eternal dance.

18. Continuum or duality?

Or false dichotomy?