The College Bubble

Discussion in 'Politics' started by xmaspoo, Aug 14, 2011.

1. #101 xmaspoo, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    So you want to become a professor, is this so that you may teach "the wrong types" of people, when you just said that you can't understand how school may not be worth it? There's nothing wrong with wanting to become a teacher, the issue at hand is that many people are being encouraged into attending college not for their own sake, but to pad the pockets of banks and colleges instead. Banks and colleges make a fortune off of the artificially high demand for a college education thanks to government interference in the market.

Everything has it's price, education included. All goods & services sold are subject to market forces, when something becomes too plentiful, the price drops. The Federal Government is interfering in the market for student loans by creating cheap credit for anyone and everyone that wants to go to school, taking the risk out of making loans from the banks.

Thus, the banks are able to make money off of sending kids to college who otherwise would not have gone if the Federal Government weren't guaranteeing to pick up the losses on these loans. This allows banks to charge lower interest rates because any potential losses on the loans will be absorbed by the taxpayers.

The colleges make out like bandits as well. It's not the school's problem if the value of the degree plummets, they are raking in all the extra tuition thanks to the cheap credit offered by the government. The colleges don't have a problem with this, it keeps the lights on and everyone's getting paid. In this sense, it becomes a moral hazard for people employed at colleges to support the very scheme that pays your salary, yet dilutes the significance of having a college degree in the job market.

2. Right. I'd have to get some capital together before starting a business, as most young people would.

Unless you really just have that badass of an idea and angel investors are practically stalking you. lol

What's QQ'ing?

3. Well some business's require very little capital...

My room mate, didn't have much but a desire...got himself a torch set up for about 1500 bucks and taught himself how to work with glass.

2 years later he now makes a rather comfy income from his production spoon/bubbler/bong pieces alone, his nicer stuff is starting to bring in some good cash as well and he's been toying with the idea of setting up his own head shop...

Now that WA is legalizing once we see how that starts to pan out even considering our own 1 stop weed/coffee shop together.

No I don't expect to be the next fortune 500 franchise all star weed shop, but a cool local joint? Could make a damn fine living if the locals like what we offer. :cool:

QQ...sorry it's gamer slang for crying b/c the QQ's look like crying eyes.

4. Ahhh gotcha.

Yeah having a marketable skill is important.

5. One of the best parts of the free market...even clowns can make a living...:D

6. God, when I wasn't forced to take certain courses I actively tried to avoid classes that generally leaned towards the professors being blatantly biased and incorrect. In 9th grade, my social studies teacher would contradict me on history that was widely accepted within the academic community without providing any evidence for her claims. Statements comparable to "That is simply wrong. Take your seat now" were common place during oral presentations given to the class on relatively accepted topics. The first two presentations I gave (she graded us on ten total over the year) she contradicted me in front of the class even though I had brought evidence to support my claims. In the interest of not getting a bad grade (yea I cared about grades) and not being stressed during presentations where we were supposed to be teaching the class about a topic we researched, I ended up just talking about things I thought we would agree on...

tl;dr: Some teachers are awesome, but at least a few are terrible.

7. #107 Arteezy, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
    Nit pick: this is not what the term originally meant (afaik). The origin of the term comes from a series of video games put out by Blizzard knows as Warcraft. Starting in Warcraft II, which released in 1995, Blizzard made it so A.L.T + Q + Q was a hotkey to quit the game (and exit the program). People were constantly told to "QQ" on battle.net (which I was playing on as early as 1998 with the release of Starcraft) if someone else thought they should quit (usually because they thought they were terrible). [1]

The "crying eyes" interpretation is the more accepted meaning outside of many hardcore gaming circles though.

Sorry, that my A.L.T looks so weird. GC's filter was trying to stop me from describing the "Alternate" key which generally sits next to the spacebar...

8. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GTa_swC-OE]Why Is Higher Education So Expensive? - YouTube[/ame]

9. I just ran a train on my finals. Im studying to be a CPA.

Try and tell me it won't pay off...lmao.

10. Did anyone itt tell you that you can't get a career by going to college?

11. A bunch of people made claims about how you won't get a job when you graduate, won't make much money initially etc...

and my point was that if you choose the right major and get relevant work experience you can live comfortably right when you graduate.

12. So just to be clear, nobody told you "it wouldn't pay off".

The point of the thread from the get-go was that college was unnecessarily expensive, and that there is a bubble in the white collar work force because of higher education subsidies from government. Meaning not everyone that goes to college will get a job in the field they want.

13. Are any of these the "right majors"?

Evolutionary biology
    Mathematics
    Physical Education
    History
    English
    Robotics
    Business
    Communications
    Radiology
    Graphics Design
    Business Management
    Psychology
    Science
    Business Administration
    Economics
    Criminal Justice
    Culinary
    Marketing
    Mechanical Engineering
    Linguistics
    Biology
    Advertising
    Accounting
    Engineering
    Neuroscience

Because apparently none of those work in New Orleans

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg]Is a college degree worth the cost? You decide. - YouTube[/ame]

It's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know.

14. Nope...those are all fluff majors...:rolleyes:

15. I think that speaks more about New Orleans than college paying off.

16. #116 Runningw235, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012

You can find ignorant drunks on bourbon street. Who knew.

It's not difficult to figure out how in demand a certain skill set is, and if a certain major even gives you a specific/marketable skill set.

Id imagine the one's I put in bold are in demand, but I don't know everything. A lot of those listed don't teach very specific skills, more just general info, i.e. marketing.

And obviously there are people who do well in every field, and people who don't. I don't know what your point is with that video. lol

17. Bingo.

18. God this thread...college is too much time and effort to not be worth it...maybe I should drop out after finals

19. I think you're missing at least a few significant data points... For starters, not only do you have to do all that, but you have to be able to pay for college without accruing a significant amount of debt.

I also don't understand what you mean by "the right major". Could you elaborate? Do you mean what you think the right majors are? Do you mean what majors are known for netting graduates high salaries?

20. #120 badboy287, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
    Its a roll of the dice , that's all, maybe you will get somewhere from going maybe you won't. But one things for sure , a lot of money will be spent to find out.

A grand ole game of musical chairs.