The Coffee Thread!

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by J-DILLA, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Dam OP you have your shit down. Personally I love having a coffee with my first toke of the day but I don't get fancy with it. When i'm home I just make myself a cup or two, but at school i don't have a coffee maker so i'm forced to frequent the sub par on campus dunkin donuts. They make significantly worse coffee than your average dunks, it blows.

2. Grind my own Dunkin Donuts whole bean....just a little milk...

3. #23 Sean A, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    Eight o' clock Colombian right now for me. Tastes great. Looking to get a good grinder and french press soon, you can tell Keurig just doesn't give the full potential of the coffee.

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MMnx-a8WNE]Jura ENA4 - single shot - YouTube[/ame]

This is the machine I use. Jura-Capresso ENA 4. I like the appeal of a super-automatic. Grinds, tamps, brews, cleans itself. It can make coffee or espresso, cappuccinos or mocha's.

[​IMG]

I use these beans. Italian Roast Espresso :smoking:

5. The wife just bought me Keurig B60 for christmas and I love it. This machine is leaps and bounds ahead of my old drip style brewer. I've been buying the green mountain K-cups from my local wal-mart and even they are way tastier than anything I've made at home before. I just ordered one of those reusable ones and plan to use high-quality beans.

I drink all my coffee black and think cappuccinos and such are absolutely disgusting.

6. We drink "bulletproof" coffee, but source our beans at a local coffeehouse. I'm finding that your beans and your grinder have much more to do with the quality of your coffee than does your coffee maker. We splurged on a Peugot manual coffee mill, but make our coffee in a french press every morning. Was interested in the Aeropress, but I have a hate on for plastic, so...

7. Because of my work I have had the privilege of enjoying two varieties of Kopi Luwak (the beans that pass through the digestive tract of a civet) otherwise known as the "poop coffee". One variety was one of the best cups I had ever had, comparable to 100% Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain Java. The other cup was a lesser known variety of coffee, coffea liberica, it was pretty horrible. Ive also gotten to enjoy many other exclusive single origin coffees; galapagos, etc.

[​IMG]

8. I would have no idea where to start with a Keurig or something like that, so if anyone is generous enough to explain or post some links where I can read up on some different equipment/techniques, that would be rad. I use a plain-Jane 12-cup Mr. Coffee that I got from Wal-Mart. I use Folgers medium roast that I store in the freezer because I've heard that it preserves its freshness. Here's what I'm currently adding:

(all amounts are estimates--I eyeball it)
    2 Tbs. sugar
    3 Tbs. heavy cream
    2 tsp. hazelnut flavoring syrup

I like to think I'm pretty simple with my coffee. Black isn't really in my taste right now but I'm slowly decreasing these amounts to let the stronger flavor grow on me. I'm open to suggestions so if anyone would like to point me in the direction of something else I might like, feel free... I drink my whiskey neat and my water is tap, so nothing too fancy :)

9. Try out some more coffee's. Start with a medium roast then go from there. A lot of people seem to like beans from Guatamala. Starbucks has a nice spectrum of roasts and types, my favorite atm being cafe Verona. If you get daring try out some darker roasts - Italian , French, Espresso.

Also, if you don't already have one invest in a water filter pitcher they are about 25 bucks I think. They make your tap a lot better and filtered water makes a huge difference in the taste of your coffee.

10. Thanks man I'll look into that. I like the idea of using filtered water as I clean that Mr. Coffee pretty religiously to prevent mineral buildup. I've heard mineral buildup can also make a huge difference (for the worst).

11. I drink Starbucks Cafe Verona. I get the whole beans and grind them. There is nothing better than fresh ground coffee. I brew one cup (16 oz travel cup) at a time, so I put three heaping tablespoons of whole beans in the grinder, and fill the pot just to under the 4 line. I brew it in a Mr Coffee coffe maker with a water filter. I like my coffee sweet so I use 7 Splendas and Land O Lakes half and half. The LOL half and half is expensive, but I haven't found any other brand with a better, creamier flavor.

12. I've never seen the actual "poop"...so thanks for posting the picture. Always wanted to try Kopi Luwak someday but I don't trust people selling it to send me the real thing. Where have you gotten it before? Kona, JBM, and Ethopian are my favorite brews so far since I haven't tried Kopi. Someday I will.

Thanks for the "Poop" pics...makes me want to try it even more:D

13. lol @ poop pics

14. You can get 50g here Doi Chaang Coffee | Beyond Fair Trade for $55. It runs about $500 for a pound. I got it from this company it is 100% legitimate.

15. keurig coffee maker, vanilla hazelnut or breakfast blend coffee, 1% milk, two tsp of sugar. every mornin'.

16. Iced Coffee, hot espresso pouring directly to a cup of cold milk. great!!!!   :hello: :hello:

[​IMG]

17. Been making lots of cold press during this hot ass summer, it's great I suggest u all try it it's very simple.
    Step 1: like half a cup or a cup of grounds in ur French press
    2:fill her up with water (DONT PRESS IT YET)
    3: let sit for 24 hours
    4:press after 24 hours, put that shit in the fridge an babam u got some potent jittery coffee to get u thru the day

18. redbull for the water, when the pots done throw in a 5 hour energy, a shot of vodka, and a vitamin tablet and ya good to go!:)