The Bread Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Looks picture perfect. Beautiful crust and crumb.

• Like Like x 5
  2. I thought I'd share what I just found with like minded people.This came from under the root ball of a tree I'd guess was 100+ years old. The tree that blew over was on the edge of a small stream. 3-1/2" thick, 18" in dia. 20200522_171536.jpg 20200522_171536.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The first wheel!

Sent with it's not a lie!?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bread:
    [​IMG]

bread & butter & honey & Fiery Mountain Mamma powder:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. OooOoooooo yummy! The powder sounds incredible

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nice crust and crumb. That's an interesting condiment combination. What's in the Fiery Mountain Mamma powder? Top secret?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. look that one up homeslice... it sounds delicious! Wheres my toast... lol i think I'll order some

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. That looks so good I feel light headed!

[​IMG]

:jump:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Little to spicy for this guy... That's a whole new level of heat I don't want to feel come morning.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ha ha... Come on ice cream! Speaking of that... it would be killer on some vanilla! Whos with me?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I haven't baked in 3 weeks and decided it was time.

25% spelt flour / 75% bread flour and 75% hydration. First loaf (crumb pic) didn't get a good slash but 2nd loaf turned out pretty good. 20200524_165626.jpg IMG_20200524_103654_176.jpg

Sent from here to there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. They both look great to me Chunk. As always, you set the bar high.Beautiful crust and crumb. And spelt flour too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Thanks Tim. I sure like the nutty taste of the spelt flour. I fermented the dough all day yesterday on the counter then shaped the loaves and put them in the fridge overnight. I had the first one in the oven at 5:00 this morning and pulled the 2nd one out at 6:45. Something to be said about baker's hours lol!

Sure did make some good French Toast!

• Like Like x 5
  14. That is one long ferment. I like doing things that way too. Many folks don't have the patience it takes for the extraordinary flavors we get with a long ferment.I was just going to sleep when you started baking, lol.
    I'll bet that french toasts was delicious..

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. That video I posted in here a while back about the 15 helpful tips for sourdough really helped me with understanding how taking your time with the ferment makes for a more flavorful bread. I'd really like to try incorporating some sprouted seeds in a loaf but it will be a timing deal with getting the sprouts ready at just the right time to fold into the dough.

• Like Like x 3
  16. I'm not at that level of bread making yet. That seems like it would take a few practice runs of sprouting before you could get the timing just right. I'm sure you have the patience to do it and it would be interesting to see a finished loaf. Now, I need to search the web to see a loaf with sprouted seed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I know that there are mills that sell sprouted grains as a mash, probably for commercial bakeries. From what I've read, the sprouted grains have a better enzyme profile than malted grains, but I doubt as a home baker, that I could tell a difference. Let me know if you run across anything interesting we could try at home.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Just a sourdough made from my discard. I missed this bread for the past few weeks. The stores finally have organic bread flour again. 20200530_230940.jpg 20200530_231107.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3