The almighty dolla

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bkadoctaj, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Yeah, I agree. But I feel that way about the nation-state too. Just because it isn't a numbers game doesn't mean it isn't a game: it's a rhetorical (words) game.

2. [FONT=&quot]The dollar has been devalued through inflation to the point that it is worth less than a dime in 1913 dollars. And it's getting worse with ever one we print. Every time .gov goes on a spending spree (Iraq war, Obama pork-ulus bill etc. it's been going on since we left the gold standard) and print the money to finance it, the dollars in circulation (read as: Your money in the bank) become worth less and less. .gov doesn't mind at all. They spend their money BEFORE it goes in to circulation, so they get full value for it. By the time it get's to you and me, its value has decreased. It is an indirect tax politicians love because they are not held accountable for it.

An illustration:
    In 1913, a $20 gold piece would buy a side of beef, a nice hunting rifle, or a nice hand tailored suit. Today, that same one oz of gold worth roughly $1,000, will still buy a side of beef, a nice hunting rifle, or a hand tailored suit. How far does a $20 bill go at the butcher shop?

Another example: in 1964, when our coinage was still silver, gasoline was $0.25 a gal. That same silver quarter is worth around $3.00 today, around the price of a gallon of gas. So has gas gone up? of is our money worth less money?

We've been getting screwed for a long time, and they don't even have the common courtesy to pass us around the Vaseline.[/FONT]

3. They vend it here in the land where we buy and sell (and think that's all there is).

4. About ten years ago 1 USD was worth 7 or 8 DKK (danish kroner) but now it's only worth 5 or so.. And I don't think the value of danish kroner has either increased or decreased considerably during that decade...

5. Thats fucked up. We are so boned. :rolleyes:

6. We being the lucky citizens of a great nation-state?

7. Wait.... So do all of you have a problem with the existence of currency? Obviously currency doesn't have any value beyond what value we give it. But what kind of world do you guys envision where currency doesn't exist?

Are we going to go back to a barter and trade system? Are we going to individually produce our own crops? Or go to an autonomous village sort of scheme?

I can appreciate the fact that money in itself is kind of ridiculous but what exactly is it that you guys are proposing should be done?

8. Its easy to scapegoat money for the inherent greed of human nature. These people are all dreamers.

Nothing's free in water world, and money facilitates everything we do.

9. Go back? We can't "go back". So whatever happens will have the shadow of a failed currency regime in the historical background.

I don't know what will replace currencies... I hope it doesn't have a name.

10. Currency used to have value. Up until 1965 you could take your paper dollars to the FED and exchange it for silver at a fixed rate. Up until 1913, we had our currency backed by gold. These looked much like our "Federal Reserve Notes" we use today, but where on the bills it now says "Federal Reserve Note" it use to say "Silver Certificate" or "Gold Certificate". Where our FRN's now say "This note is legal tender for all debts, public or private" used to read: "The U.S. Treasury will pay the bearer on demand X dollars in silver (or gold)".

We left these standards in order to be able to print up and "create" money to pay for programs weather it be social or military.

Inflation is not just some magical natural happening. It is not the values of goods and services going up. It is the value of fiat currency going down. This happens when a government increases the money supply.

Example: If there is one trillion dollars worth of currency in existence, and the government prints up another trillion, every dollar you hold now becomes worth $0.50 because people have double the money to compete for the same resources. today's dollar is worth less than a dime compared to a dollar when we were on the gold standard. It's going to get a lot worse after all these bailouts come home to roost.

11. I say we stop being our nationalities. But that's just me.

12. :rolleyes:

13. :rolleyes::rolleyes: double roll. Beat that.

14. I like how everyone is just now saying that the dollar is worth nothing. Have all of you been blind to the ridiculous inflation up until now? No one questioning that the average price of a new car in 1988 was $10,000 and now is $30,000? That is only 20 years, and it is still a $20,000 difference! Inflation has been crazy, since before Bush, Clinton, Regan, etc. This is a problem caused by the state of mind of our nation, not by Obama or his stimulus package. The stimulus bill is more than wrong, and will be no where near as effective in a recovering sense as anyone has cracked it up to be.

The mind set of the American people needs to change, and hopefully with this massive inflation the federal government is cooking up, peoples' eyes will open. I bought my Ron Paul wearing a Guy Fawkes mask tee shirt last year during the primary elections and was afraid I might lose the opportunity to meaningfully wear it again, but now I actually think it has more relevance than before.

Campaign For Liberty!

15. Bye bye stupid America.

16. All These Posts Saying What Will We Do Go back To Barter Trade, Autonomous Utopias, NONE of That matters, Watch This Documentary it is available for purchase and will teach you things your communist teachers didnt teach you. Go HERE NOW Your life May Change TODAY and how you view things will never be the same. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=gosale1&view=playlists Click on PLAY All Documentary: Bloodlines of Power

17. Oh noes...

18. i voted it will survive....for this reason .

the world bases it's currency on the value of the dollar....the american econony dictates what a economy of another country will do..

.. on the dollar it says,,,,, '' FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE ''.. now a note is a paper bill .a debt...

a note is what the bank has on your land until you pay it off...

the dollar is no different than monopoly money....it has nothing backing it up....exept for a promise.....one that the way obama is blowing money,,,

wont be worth the paper it's printed on!!!:cool:

19. i agree with chicken. theres too much of those papers aorund the world... im guessing they will keep the dollar alive somehow