The Alchemist - Pauolo Coelho

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TheAtmansPath, Mar 18, 2012.

1. #1 TheAtmansPath, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
    I just picked it up and read it in 2 days, its really good. Short, too.

The book is chalk full of philosophy, symbolism, and teachings about how to find happiness and experience "The Soul of the World" . its about knowing the heart, following one's personal legend and knowing the Language of the World. It's all super simple though, like a teaching disguised as a fictional story.

I found it really good. Have any of you read it?

here's a summary: Paulo Coelho - 'The Alchemist : A Fable About Following Your Dream'

2. sounds interesting. thanks for posting.. on my reading to-do list

3. my friend who doesn't read too often said he read this book multiple times, and loved it. I might have to check it out myself

4. Hands down, the best book I have ever read.

5. its a great read, although there is very little actual philosophical substance imo. it didnt really seem to present much of theory from what i remember, the "soul of the world" is used more as a sort of vague literary device.

6. Love that book! After reading it I took serious time inflecting on my life and all it encompasses.

Snoop, there is more to philosophy than simple theory. In fact we can argue over what a theory is, and unless we form an opinion based on boolean logic we can't argue either way.
    Philosophy is a journy of thought. Philosopher literally means a lover of wisdom. To go on a journy to find wisdom, that is what a philisoph strives for.

The main character goes on his adventure, and only at the very end does he realise what he needed was at home. The soul of the world guided him there

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. You can find the audiobook on youtube, from what i remember it's like 2 hours or something; i just listened to it at work. If nothing itll make you look at life on a different angle

8. no doubt. it definitely is a thought inspirer. i dropped outa hs, did online class for a few months before i quit doing any work, and ended up getting my diploma through a school sponsored ged program that rewarded a diploma. during my online class time it was an assignment to read this book. i consider it the highlight of my high school education.

but i just meant i dont think much is actually said in the way of philosophy in the book. its mostly what you take from the words.

9. I read it a few years ago, and I liked it, but I was too young to really understand and appreciate it. I bought it a month or two ago, and I plan on reading it again when im done with some other books.

10. I see what you mean now, I can agree with that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. From the many times ive read it, I've come to the same conclusion: that we make the world what we want it to be, to follow your dreams and visualize what you want your reality to be. When you resonate a vibrational frequency, you cannot help but find yourself on that plane.

"Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics." ∼ Bashar

“The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a tellar but for want of an understanding ear.” Stephen King

12. Where can I find this book?

I don't wanna come out of the rabbit hole.

13. the library.