Terence Mckenna

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by funkengruven420, Jan 21, 2010.

1. I don't know if any of you have heard this guy before but he is something of a psychedelic prophet. His speeches are really resonating with me so I thought I'd share my favorite one with you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARIG-BQRATs&feature=related]YouTube - Terence Mckenna: Reclaim Your Mind[/ame]

2. He is a great philosopher and story teller who had balls of steel when it came to tripping. I read all his stuff and think its great.

But his 2012 Timewave Zero Theory is Bunk. Terrance himself admitted it was lots of speculation and little fact. I am sorry he died he was a amazing and extreamly interesting person. But his work was not scientific it seems many want to quote his every word as fact.

His descriptions of the DMT experience are fascinating. Been there hundreds of times myself but no aliens no elves no other worlds teeming with life for me lots of other mind blowing things yes. In a way he has stereotyped the DMT experience to almost a cult and thats a shame to me. I like to discover my own truth not suck up preprogrammed beliefs as described by others.

Nerveless I highly recommend him and wish he was still here. Thanks for posting good stuff.

His brother Dennis is still around and doing psydellic talks as well as being a professional academic. Check out his work.

Peace

3. I didn't know that he died, I really don't know a whole lot about him just happened upon one of his speeches online a few days ago. not familiar with his Timewave Theory, what interests me about him is his ideas on culture, society and the mind, no other speaker has hit the nail more directly on the head in these subjects in my opinion.

I love the way he describes culture as our operating system, I definitely plan on reading his works, a very brilliant man, really bums me out to learn hes dead :(.

peace:smoking:

4. RIP

One of my top 4 people i'd like to smoke with

MLK
    Terrence
    Mufasa
    Leonard Cohen

5. i liked the video alot. definitley hit home being a part of the consumer generation myself. and he's totally right. we as a society base everything on the outer world to get our happiness and pleasure. But we never really look at our own internal thoughts and energies as being a huuge part of it.
    I mean, I could have the biggest house, nicest car but if I'm exuding negative energy from within...then that's all I'm going to get back.
    Good video!
    Sad he passed. :(

6. Indeed, RIP to the great Terence McKenna, he will always be remembered.

Man, I can't pick a top 4, I'd wanna smoke with everyone on this planet who loves the herb, but the names that come to mind right now are:

Richard Evans Schultes
    Terence McKenna
    મોહનદાસ કરમચંદ ગાંધી
    Edgar Cayce

And it's strange that you wrote "Mufasa" on that list ... that was the name of my first pyrex piece :) it was a good piece, too, until the unthinkable happened :(

Anyways, for those of you looking for Terence McKenna lectures, there is a good collection of FREE lectures on the piratebay, just look up "Terence McKenna", there's one that has over 80 hours worth of lectures.

7. After he was diagonsed with a incurable brain tumor the first thing he asked the Drs was could the tumor be caused by his psydellic drug use. The Dr told him the tumor was very rare and was not caused by drugs.
    "
    They tried to zap it with a Gamma Knife a selective energy beam but it did not help. He packed plenty of experiences into his life and his work will live on as there is no one else even close to him in many ways.

He did get the answer to the big question, "is the brain conciseness?" looks like most of us will also have to wait for death to find out the same. Its a hell of a question I spend to much time considering.

Peace

8. I wonder if he went on any final ayahuasca journeys/peyote journeys and asked any spirits about what was going on

9. He is a amazing; words cannot describe the novel intellect that terrence mckenna exudes. My favorite video by Terrence is "How to take psychedelics", a long with "Culture is Your Operating System".

Rest in peace in the cosmos, Terrence. :smoking:

10. #10 Madrid, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
    yea that one is one of the best clips on youtube
    he was truly one of the great thinkers of the human race. I think he deserves a place next to Socrates and Voltaire and the like.

he totally makes me contemplate the most scariest and fascinating ideas about reality imaginable.

11. The Invisible Landscape is his best tripping book it is the true story of Terrance and his brother Dennis down in the Amazon drinking Aya +Mushroom brew back in the 70s.

Terrance had some graph paper and the Timewave Theory was born. Yes he also calculated 2012 just like the Mayans.

His theory said "Novelty will reach a Peak" in 2012 by "Novelty he meant change and that may be true. It is the next US presidential election. Just like Moores law says about technology everything is indeed speeding up of course this applies to technology as well as human mental development.

But i aint buying the end of the world transformation bullshit. Humans evolved slowly on earth and will likely die off in the same manner.

Peace

12. What he's saying in the video is say true. I've never heard this said before. wow! i love it! i'm getting super good vibes right now. thanks for posting that.

13. Smoking with Leonard Cohen would be mindblowing :smoking: