Terence McKenna Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by NativeGanja, May 15, 2013.

1. Love this dude but have yet to read any of his books, can anyone recommend a good jumping in point?

I was lookin at Demon Haunted World but I think that was a late one of his...

Carl Sagan is the author of The Demon Haunted World Science as a Candle in the Dark. I recommend you read all of Carl's books before you even start on Terrance.

3. Oh, that's pretty embarassing. Saw the book at the gym and got the names mixed in my head. My bad..

To be fair they're both legends and I love em both.. thanks for the recommendation

I got you bro. Check out this video. It puts me in a very good state of mind and its so simple yet mind blowing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2xzIgdD_XA

5. As men we walk the earth. As man I stand.

6. #26 mos619, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
    Someone mentioned how Terence always talked about boundary dissolution and I went into this long rant. Seemed post worthy.

In my experience with Ayahuasca I was presented with the realization that there are no boundaries...everything is really one thing. This makes sense too when you look at E=mc2 and the law of conservation of energy. You're not really you any more than I'm me, everything just is.

Of course, we have the experience of separateness, but I don't think that has to be the case. Seems that most religions and spiritual traditions have this idea of mystical union where humans become one with god, god just being a metaphor for the unity of all things not some supernatural busybody. 

So I think it's likely that we have the potential to reaching a state where that oneness becomes our subjective experience. Perhaps not though individual efforts, but through the cultural scaffolding that informs most of our perceived boundaries in the first place. A society with values and expectations based on the realization of our oneness. So that we don't pollute the Earth or harm life, because we know it to be an act of harm against ourselves. I think internet has actually done a lot to bring us closer to that point. Look at what is going on in the Middle East right now; dictators and religious zealots are being toppled because the people have expanded their minds using this new technology. 

That cultural awaken is one reason people like Rick Doblin from MAPS are hopeful that we will experience a renaissance of psychedelic research. The culture of the 60s wasn't ready for a mass psychedelic experience. People lost their shit! But now, people are more open and their minds process information more rapidly, so that I think we could integrate these pharmacological technologies into the cultural operating system. Give it a few years and you've got utopia, maybe.

On the other hand, we could see a return to fascism as the powers that be try to cling to their last shred of power before the inevitable dissolution of all boundaries and plunge the world into a nuclear war that makes the planet inhospitable to live.

But isn't it all the same? Whether it be through mindful effort or mindless destruction, all boundaries ultimately cease to be. Really, they were never there to begin with, and it never began because the only time is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rufFWxvZ0U

7. RIP Terrence McKenna, the World's most dedicated psychonaut.

I read that he smoked herb on a daily basis. I mostly listen to his videos when he talks about hallucigenics for the most part, but someone told me that Terrence himself said that in order to get the most from weed (the effect), you shouldn't consume it for 6 months in order to fully get the psychedelic effects.

• Like Like x 2
  8. True but he was smoking on a daily basis. He did take breaks from it though i think.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. RIP? Bit belated, lol... He died 18 yrs ago at age 53... i liked the guy, had a vast knowledge of substances we can't discuss on Grass City in addition to weed.

• Like Like x 2
  10. KORIP - keep on resting in peace

• Like Like x 1