Temps too high, in desperate need of help...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by lowryder21, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Hello folks, i have a problem that's riddling me for a while now. I have a growtent that is 5x5x9 and it has 3 HPS bulbs in it. 1X600, 1x400, 1x250. They are placed vertically with two fans beneath them pushing the hot air upwards. I have 3 4" RVK fans (extracting totally 990 m3/h), they are connected with carbon filters.

Ambient temp is 75 F. Still temp in my growtent is constantly over 90 F. It has many small holes here and there because it had been ripped apart to modify it. Basically it is leaking air from everywhere...Could this be the reason i am facing these problems? Anything to suggest?

2. Can't really picture what vertical bulbs and two fans pushing hot air up looks like. What are the RVK (?) fans attached to?

3. I would suggest getting some 22 gauge steel and find someone with a break-stop (to bend angles in it) and build yourself a Air cooled hood. you can get plate glass custom cut to your dimensions and then run one fan through your hood for all of your bulbs.

(you could probably even make the reflector out of wood... but i think it would be abit of a fire hazard...)

Another alternative is to get an AC but it seems your main issue is the amount of lights you are running.

4. Sounds like you may need to get air-cooled hoods so the heat from the lights never enter the grow room. Obviously A/C is also an option, but you would have to take care of all those air leaks.

This all sounds like terribly inefficient ventilation. If I was in your position, I would get cool tubes and have one inline fan pulling air through those so it never enters the grow room. Then another (hopefully hooked up with a carbon filter) dealing with the air actually in the tent.

5. Thanks for the answers guys, i see that you point me towards cooltubes, i had 2 of them (1 broke), i removed to benefit more from the lights in the vertical position i have them and don't want them back. For now i have been running for 6 hours the 400w+250w HPS and for the other 6 hours (late at night) the 600w+250w HPS.

It has done the trick for now, tomorrow i am getting a 6'' Ruck Fan extracting 770 m3/h. With the two other 5'' RVKs i have i believe it will do the trick with no need for cooltubes. In total 1x6''+2x5'' will suffice i hope. Also gonan close leaks as best as i can and leave only two intake 6'' holes at the lower side of the tent, i believe it would get things better.

RVKs (or Ruck fans, similar models) are like this one http://www.google.gr/imgres?q=ruck+fan&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1680&bih=953&tbm=isch&tbnid=EzO8fzTUvCwmtM:&imgrefurl=http://www.basementlighting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv%3Fpage%3D1/PROD/RK100L&docid=d5r5fWPqkIF8jM&imgurl=http://www.basementlighting.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/2010_ruck.jpg&w=250&h=250&ei=tsR8UI77I6mQ4gSN8YCYCw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=317&sig=104908883081034431256&page=1&tbnh=145&tbnw=145&start=0&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:81&tx=117&ty=39

6. Hey, i bought a 6" Ruck pushing 780 m3/h, that thing is huge! Bought some acoustic ducting and a dimmer too because i supposed it would be very noisy. I put it to the top of my growtent. Now i have 1x6" + 2x5" extractor fans, temps are around 83-85 F with all HPS lit, its not perfect but better than before where i was forced to have the bulbs on for less time.