Temp problem, what to do?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Budzilla420, May 2, 2017.

1. Ive got a 2"x4"x5" tent with a 400w MH light (dimmable, currently set to 150w) with a ventalated hood (cool tube style box hood) with a 440cfm adjustable speed inline fan (set to around midline) pulling air from the tent through the hood and out the tent. The set up is inside a walk in closet with a door, no ac vent, and i had to drill a hole through the wall just to get electricity.

So running the set up 18/6 while its closed up the temps get up over 85. Too hot. When im home i can keep the tent flap open and the closet door open and itll stay at 79 which is better but still too warm for my liking. When im at work though it has to be sealed up with the closet door locked.

So what can i do or get to keep the tent cooler? Say mid 70s? Right now my only thought is to move the tent outta the closet but theres no other concealable space to keep it. I dont want to spend 400+ on an ac unit just to run it on low for the tent/closet.

Any help would be appreciated. Its driving me crazy.

2. You will have to get ac to it, somehow...so theres no ac in the room? Or no ac in the closet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Theres one ac/heat vent in the living room, none in the closet. The vent is about 7 or 8 feet away from the wall shared with the closet (plus its on the ceiling) and about 15 feet away from the closet door. The living room stays nice and cool, its just having that tent exhausting into rhat closed in closet the temp goes up fast.

Options are basically buy an ac unit or some kind of ice box/cool box/reflector cooler, cut a hole through the wall for intake from the living room, or move the tent to a bigger, more open room which would make it out in the open and non concealable if maintenance happened to stop by or whatever.

At least thats all i can think of. Im open to whatever other ideas as well as small ac unit/ice box cooler recommendations.

4. Can you ventilate the closet? That's your cheapest solution. I don't see how you can put an a/c in a closet and cool it down without exhausting the heat it's working to remove. You'll just be sucking that heat back into the tent anyway in a feedback loop. Ductless splits are a bit overboard for 150-400w, and anything else has to be ventilated anyway.

So if you're cutting a hole in your closet you might as well just use another 6" 440cfm fan instead of spending bank on active cooling.

For that matter, if you're ventilating the closet then you might as well ditch the tent and use the fan you've already got. That way the entire project costs you nothing.

You should be able to get it down to a few degrees above room temp using an inline fan (or two, if you insist on keeping the tent and using your closet as a lung room).

Good luck :bongin:

5. I saw somebody take a styrofoam cooler, mount a PC fan on it with passive exhaust holes cut into it, and fill it with ice. It's a cheap swamp cooler, but how much ice are you going to dump into it before cutting the hole anyway lol.

6. Well cutting the hole in the wall would be a last ditch effort lol. A 4 or 6 inch hole in the wall with light coming out of it would arouse suspicion if someone saw it who shouldnt.

I was hoping that there was some kind of small, cheap and effective portable ac unit out there for this kind of thing and im just not finding it

7. Way too much light for a tent that doesn't have any sort of cool air coming in. The MH lamp is just going to turn that tent into an over. You've got come up with a way to cool it down because high temps are one thing that will kill a soil grow off in a hurry. There are portable air conditioners at Wally World now that don't have to sit in a window. They do have to have a ventilation route out somewhere, but maybe you could get creative with that part of it. I saw an 8,000 btu the other day for $232. That's the only thing I know to tell you. Summertime temps and confined spaces and high wattage lights are tough to manage. Best of luck. TWW

8. Do you have an attic above the closet? If so, you could just exhaust into the attic. Just make sure you don't build up humidity up there.

Another option is to vent through the closet door. Just get a spare closet door and make an exhaust vent in it. I think you should be focusing on exhausting the heat, rather then trying to bring in fresh or cold air.

If you do decide to make a new intake vent through the wall, be sure to stagger the holes so that it helps to trap light.

9. Yea cant vent the door, i dont want maintenence to spot that and start asking questions. But otherwise idk what to do. Sounds like im just gonna have to pull the tent outta the closet and put it in the living room somehow