Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Telling my parents?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by korkow, Mar 8, 2009.

1. So I've been kind of considering telling my parents I smoke and whatnot, since I'm 18 and will be moving out pretty soon. The thing is, I know my parents were both stoners in college, and occasionally tell stories of baking pot cookies together and stuff. I'm 100% they sure don't smoke anymore, and haven't for many years, but I'm starting to get the feeling they are actually okay with me smoking in moderation.

For example, I was watching a video on making firecrackers (edible weed with peanut butter and crackers, for those who don't know), and my mom came up to me and was like "watching the cooking channel again?". Of course I closed it pretty quick, and just tried to change the topic. But she insisted and said "what were they making on there?", so I said "peanut butter and crackers". She responded "green peanut butter and crackers?" and chuckled and walked away.

So more and more I feel like they would actually be fine with me smoking pot, and I feel like telling them might relieve a lot of tension, but then again it could turn out disasterous. Does anyone have any hints on bringing up the topic and ways to justify it in this kind of situation?

• Like Like x 1
  2. As long as you've got your shit together in life, just be honest with them about it.

3. they sound like they already know somewhat

4. Most parents know far more than their kids think.

5. exactly, ive had a couple friends who when moving out told their parents and mom and pop were like yea we already knew...one friend had his mom find his stash but she said nothing until he moved out

6. and at the same time, some parents are completely oblivious. one of my buddies smokes out his room everyday, when his parents ask him about the smell he just says its his incense, they seriously have no clue.

7. i wouldnt say anything, sounds like you got it pretty good. Dont tell they dont ask.

8. My mother is not really to o.k. with pot, shit, she hates ciggerettes even. My dad on the other hand was a tripped up acid freak in school, etc. She know, or should i say they know, that i smoke pot. My life isn't picture perfect and im pretty broke always, and my mom has a hard time with the cost of it since im always paying last months bill this month...but they understand. They know that I don't hardly drink, and always so in moderation. They know that I'm smart and can make good desicions. It doesn't make her happy, thats for sure, but it's not an off limits topic. It's not like, "Hey mom, oh what? Sorry I'm just really stoned...!" or anything like that. But when im having one of those "worse day evers" I'll totally throw a "I just need an effing joint" out there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you know your parents and how good or bad it could be either way. Think it through, and if you feel comfortable and really feel that they should know this about you, then by all means, tell them. Sounds like they're pretty clued in already.

9. Since your moving out anyway, just be honest with them. Whatsvthe worst they can do if your not there.
    They aren't going to hold it over you for the rest of your life, they sound cool enough with the idea not to do that

10. be honest, i think the best thing in this world is honesty if they are cool let them know, or just tell one of your parents, i'm telling my mom before my dad :D

11. yes they know lol. no question. i would say just leave things as is, but if u must bring it up just be like ask questions like

"when did you start smoking pot" or sumthin like tht

or just find a smooth way to trasition into the convo. just dont be like

"mom. dad. IM A STONER AND I ALWAYS WILL BE!"... not very smooth...

The last post was 47% sober writing.

12. #12 jac90, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
    i think if i told my parents i smoked my mom would stab me several times and my dad would bury my body in the back yard...

i wish they were cool with it =/

13. One day in high school I was driving in the car with my mom. Word had een going around that the cops were going to bring dogs to school and she was worried i might be caught up in something bad. She just straigh up asked " Have you smoked weed?". I replied yes and to this day she hasn't said a thing about me smoking.

14. Your parents probably already have an idea that you smoke. They just dont have a problem cause your a big boy and your not fuckin shit up

15. #15 MakaveliArts, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
    Definitely tell your mom at least. You'd regret not smoking with at least her if you never take the chance.

That would suck.

Edit: P.s. You could ease into it like trying to talk about weed with your parents, or one, then that could make them say what they have on there mind about you smoking.

16. If you are behind on your bills and still spending money on smoke you might want to reevaluate your priorities :)

17. You have to tell her what she wants to hear - and mean it. That you're controlling use; that it's not affecting your life/grades/job-prospects; that you aren't thinking of heading into anything much harder within the year; just all the stuff that's going to make her feel that her son has a good handle on what he's doing and won't let it screw him up.

Once that's done, I'm sure your Mother will be proud that you wanted to be honest with her about your smoking. She may well jump up and down and be totally pissed, she may not, but at the same time she'll be pleased to know that you do feel enough about her to talk about this with her.

MelT

18. My parents aren't against pot as much of fear of seeing me in legal trouble (I.e. Prison/jail)