Tell me why we need a government?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TejasBoi, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Can we do it another way? Are you scared?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Let me tell you a little experience I've had in my senior year of HS last year, with Superstorm Sandy:

Once Sandy practically steamrolled my town in NY and we were out of power for two weeks, it was a town-wide anarchy pretty much. Cops were being shot at, everyone was being robbed, our gas got siphoned, people were illegally price gouging gas (for generators), the national and coast guards were called to settle things down. A lot of violence pursued in my and many MANY other towns across Long Island were things were out of the police's control. Looting was also really popular.

I couldn't imagine full-scale anarachy. But then again, this was during a tradegy and people were without power. Crazy how things get when the masses are powerless, huh?

This.

We need a goverment, we have to make the change from within.

4. We neee government you fool. The bueacratic red tape needs to be reduced but the government is nessacary to maintain law and order as well as freedom

5. #5 Boats And Hoes, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
    If you truly wanna understand what 'govern-ment' is for (and understand something about political philosophy quite worth knowing).. study T. Paine and JJ Rousseau.

"SOME people have so confounded society with government, as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas they are not only different, but have different origins. Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness POSITIVELY by uniting our affections, the latter NEGATIVELY by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is a patron, the last a punisher."

Nonetheless, GOVERN-ance is needed; yet, the question remains - what rules and maxims should we abide by? Or, which rules and maxims are "right"?

6. Did you know japan did no such things when the earthquake hit. Those guys also got radiation poisoning. Why do you think this is?

We are confined by law and order so that we can be free; this is what Rousseau meant when he said that people need 'to be forced to be free'.

8. If we had no government who would take out tax money?

9. Paying taxes is to the benefit of everyone and is everyones responsibility. People have all these expectations of the government like protection, regulation ect. but dont wanna pay taxes....

10. We are programmed to think we need a government. But can we do this society thing another way. It might cause for a drastic change in thinking but the outcome might be worth it...

11. Don't have to tell me. I read the Declaration of independence. The first document our country wrote and they warn of to much government. If more people would read the founding documents they would see how far we drifted from the idea of a "free" country.

12. America in it's current state, need I seriously say anymore?

13. America in its current state got here government run. Call me silly but its not working.

14. I live on Long island also, what town do you live in?

OP we do need some sort of government to keep things in order, if there was no government there would be nationwide chaos and nobody would do anything ab it. But the U.S government is A different story... filled with so many corrupt politicians that are in it for money and to Fuck us. The u.s gov how it is now is too powerful and has taken away many of our rights to protect us from ourselves. If the founding fathers looked at the government today they would be so mad haha.

Just my 2c

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

15. What does this have to do with lack of government? The government was in existance during your experience.

A lot wrong with this post, so allow me to elaborate.

You dont "pay" taxes, it is no voluntary exchange. Your money is taken from you, and if you dont agree, men in suits with guns come and throw you in jail, and take your possessions. You pay your taxes because of these threats of violence, so therefore it is coercion. It is completely different than paying.

Second, taxation doesnt fund things like protection, and regulation. It funds things like the billions in corporate welfare, the war on drugs, the drone strikes which have killed thousands, and the military which oppresses people, the NSA which spies on you, and then the salaries for the people in Washington who dont actually care about you. The gloss of things like roads, traffic lights etc is just that, gloss to shroud what taxation actually pays for.

So it is "everyones" responsibility and to "everyones" benefit to pay taxes? I just explained why that is complete nonsense. The government wont protect you, its not in their interests to. And the government regulates? There is a great thread in the Politics section, describing how the FDA helped cover up a drug scandal in which Bayer knowingly infected thousands of people with AIDS. How is that regulating?

I feel like your whole post is one big "If the government wont do it, who would?" So let me ask you one question; without slavery, who would pick the cotton?

17. To keep some peace, the rest of it is to entrap us I do think we need some government but no secrecy like in current government. I don't care what anyone says. We need to restart the us gov from ground one, we fucked up a lot and didn't fix it we just put in things to make it not as bad. Nobody is free in America it seems that we lose a new right everyday

Sent from woah sweet Grasscity Forum

18. Exactly.

Government stepped in and protected the citizens as well as prevented price gouging. That was the point I was getting at.

19. We need people to organise collecting the garbage, replacing the street lights, keeping up the state of the roads, ensuring public transport runs well, etc. Infrastructure. Making sure the people are free to live life well, equally, getting help when needed, but otherwise not interfering. Basic common law that allows for everyone to do what they feel they want, providing what they do doesn't stop others doing the same. Yet, because we have so many laws controlling what we do, think, say, now, we have lost our connection with our innate ability to know right from wrong - conscience. We have accepted, as society and government has gotten bigger, more and more control, removing more and more freedom and civil right, so that we slowly become selfish and self-centred, looking to evade and avoid responsibility, rather than contribute, if we can.

There is no need for the kind of governments we have today. Devolution needs to take place. Local government, run by people from the communities we live in, who know the issues and can listen, because they're made up of REAL people who have actually lived and worked in the world, rather than never had a job outside of politics, as so many of our career politicians seem to be. If we made it a rule that nobody could enter politics without first having lived and worked in the world for a number of years, we might end up with people less self-serving and more about serving those they purport to represent.

20. Thank you all for explaining why we all "need" a government. But my question is a lot deeper then that. Can we as humans live our lives without this current establishment? Do y'all think it's possible to change the whole idea of government? If we truly want peace, we have to have peace with ourselves first.