Techniques for Macro Shot

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by gloppypop, Sep 26, 2008.

1. #1 gloppypop, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
    Hey,

I have a plain and simple point and shoot camera (Canon SD1100 IS). I have no macro lens either. The camera has a macro option, and is pretty decent on features (image stabilizer, 8x megapixel, ..).

However, I would really like to start taking more macro pictures with my camera (insects, pot, etc.). I can get some OK macros by turning on the macro setting and by playing around with the lighting, but the pictures don't turn out too spectacular.

Does anyone have any suggestions or techniques that I may use to help with my macro shots?
    Or perhaps a link to a tutorials or techniques online?

Thanks!

2. Good question...I can take some great shots with my camera as well but they are not quite as detailed as I would like them. Im open to any suggestions as well or else i may have to spend some dough for lenses or just upgrade.

3. use the brightest light u can. sunlight is good. put the camera on a tripod and focus as close as possible. read ur manual for tips too. good luck.

4. Well, for bud, if I put it under a desk lamp, on white paper. and turn off the flash.. Will this be a good plan? Or should I keep the flash on? How about for outside shots, like for insects, flowers, etc. ?

Any more help/links/techniques/tutorials would be awesome!

5. The only thing I can help ya with is glass and nug shots...not really nature or anything.

But, for glass and nugs...you just want a solid color backround, so the camera only has the detail on the glass or nug to focus on.

Use both hands to take the pic, and set your elbows down on something, so your hands are as still as possible. You can even use a timer and set the camera down, so it doesn't shake at all...

Those are my 2 tricks o the trade as some would say...

6. #6 gloppypop, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
    Not bad! The timer thing makes since because I know my hands sometimes shake a bit when I snap the photo. Other than that I know to keep my hands still, I'll try setting my elbows down or even setting the camera down if I can get a good enough shot.

So, the white paper idea would work? What about the flash? Outside shots? Anything else as far as lighting goes? Anything else as far as anything goes? :eek: