Tax Stamps?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by rpelas420, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Hey everyone new to the site. I was recently looking at the marijuana laws for my state (Louisiana) and i found something interesting that many of you probably already know about. In my state as well as a few others there are tax stamps you're supposed to buy for your illegal substances. I'm wondering how this is legal. I originally thought i found some sort of hole in my state's drug laws because tax stamps sounded really familiar to me. The federal tax stamps from back in the day were found to be unconstitutional so i started looking for how these could be too. Apparently they thought of people trying to find holes in the system so i think they made them in a way that is "legal". I'm guessing you can't get them for self-incrimination since you don't have to give your name or address when you buy the stamps. To me going up to any state building and trying to pay taxes on something illegal would be self-incriminating. Who's to say they won't just call the police and have them follow you to your home then get your address. I bet they could get a warrant to search your home, seeing as how they would have "reasonable suspicion" you had pot since you just paid taxes on it. I guess at that point it would actually have to go down that way for there to be any dispute on that. I dunno I'm just looking for a way to get rid of these nonsense laws. Let me know what you think and give me some more ideas.

2. its a sad joke. the tapxes are for the state to add more fines to drug charges. there very stiff fines. only folks i know get them are collectors. i want one in my state, but i think ill just stay w/not getting caught;)

3. Yea it's crazy that they can just make up a law just so they can slap some more charges on top of your possesion. How do they expect me to pay taxes on something thats illegal, I didn't know they could do that either. I guess when the government is as corrupt as it is now they can get away with it really :confused_2:

4. That sounds like back in 1937 when it was first criminalized. Origionally the government said one could purchase a stamp allowing them to posses marijuana. The catch: they had to have the marijuana in thier possesion to purchase the stamp. In other words, one had to break the law to even try and follow it, thus getting them arrested for trying to follow the law. Just shows how fucked up our government can be.