Tattoo Question

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by vBuddin, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Now I understand I won't be able to get a definitive answer, but all I'm really looking for is an estimate of how much this tattoo would cost:
    Skeleton Hand tattoo by ~BodyGraffixTattoo on deviantART
    This will be my first tattoo and I'm looking for just the skeleton, not the goofy red web shit around it. I live in the US, in a small city, so I've figured I'm not going to be paying LA ink prices for it. Like I said I'm new to the tattoo game, so any help from more experienced GC'ers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Some tattoo artists charge by piece, some charge by hour.
    For the 4 that I have I paid between $80-$400 for each piece. They also vary in sizes but are close to the size of my hand flat open.

I have also come across artists not tattoo certain parts of someones body if they haven't had any previous work done. Not saying that this is the case for all, but don't be too disappointed if he suggests a different spot for your first tattoo. This is where you would have to ask the shops around you area to give you a better idea :)

3. #3 toy4runr, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
    I would guess thats at least a four hour tattoo. So $400.

Don't be afdraid to shop around EXTENSIVELY for a GOOD atrist. Look at their portfolios, talk to people in your area. If you start tralking to people with ink, you will probably hear the same names mentioned as being good artists in your town. And don't be afraid of the cost. $100/hour isn't that much for something that will last you till the day you die.

About tattoos: Good work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't good.

4. couldnt have said it better myself.. If its a large piece $100/hour is what I would expect my artist to charge me (have half sleeve with chest plate around 10 hours total) Do not cheap out, do not let anyone influence the design unless the artist gives you suggestions, and do not ask if it will hurt.. cuz yes, yes it will..

5. Thank you guys for your posts. Pain is not an issue for me, as I've experienced far more painful things in my lifetime. Recently a few people I know from facebook have been getting some pretty awesome work done too, so I'll be sure to ask them who their artist is. I would however like to ask about the process in getting a tattoo. Am I just suppose to walk in, tell them I want a tattoo, present them with the above picture and that's that?

6. Yes, then they will set you up with an appointment to come in and have it done.

Damn the tops of your hands....that's gonna hurt...but yah around 400$ or so I know the guy that I go to normally charges about 125 an hour but he normally cuts me a deal seeing as how all three times he's tattooed me it's been original art...he's in it for the right reasons basically :D

7. Thanks for your answers. Another quick question though. If I presented an artist with the picture in my original post, would he be able to replicate it, or do tattoo artists have something against replicating other peoples work? Because I've browsed many pictures of this tattoo design and this is as close to as perfect as I could come up with.