Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Beef Supreme, Jun 5, 2013.

Whoa man, that's a species you SHOULDN'T hold.  They have the nickname "Orange Bitey Thing" for a reason :laughing:

2. Haha yeah definitely don't handle OBTs.

I have OBTs, Chinese golden tiger(huge), cobalt blue, and king baboon.

3. #23 Beef Supreme, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013

Oh man cobalt blues are awesome, the blue is so brilliant. How do they respond to handling? I hear like most other old worlds they're very aggressive/defensive

Totally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFcKjRMEi0

It's a whole new experience to me and thus far it's been awesome, it's a low maintenance pet that really is out of the ordinary. Zero cost to own, aside from a tank, the spider, substrate, and food if you don't have crickets or grasshoppers at your place.

4. Yeah they're a real eye catcher.  But I never even thought about handling mine.  Very aggressive and you wouldn't imagine the speed these fuckers have.  They will move a foot in like half a second.  Insane.  Any tarantula that comes from asian forests are really aggressive and pack huge fangs.  Not a fun time if they get mad at you.

I don't really recommend handling any aggresive tarantulas but then there are crazy fucks who handle deathstalker scorpions, andros, and parabuthus sp scorpions.  Deathstalker easily causing real death.  I would never even think about doing such a thing.

5. I wish jumping spiders got as big as tarantulas.. haha that would be so killer.

But knowing their ability to catch something much larger than themselves, they would be able to eat US. :laughing:

Ever consider wolf spiders?  Some like Hogna Carolinensis are very widespread, and they get BIG!

[​IMG]  

They can vary in disposition, though.  Some will be docile and calm, others will be nervous and bite-prone.

6. This thread is freaking me out man. :eek:

7. This T-shirt is badass.  I can walk down the street and scare everyone to death.

[​IMG]

I've never seen a calm wolf spider, they're always running away or defending themselves.

I seen something out today, I was riding around and there in the road crawling around was a male brown tarantula. He was very aggressive, I didn't even try to handle him. He was mature as he had pedipalps and those hooks. I could have tried mating him with mine if I had something to catch him with. Alas my motorcycle had no jars.

[​IMG]

Jumping spiders are funny, they walk around real jerky like and most of them look like they have a beard

9. Some jumpers actually get really big.

[​IMG]

That's Hyllus Diardi, the second-largest jumper on earth.  the largest is Hyllus giganteus.

The females get even bigger!

10. #31 smokehound, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

im very pleased with this substrate, it works very well.

[​IMG]

looks like simple holes from above, but shrs building a complex tunnel with a series of chambers

11. I love this thread an I heard wolf spiders make good pets .

12. #33 smokehound, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
    They do.  I collected a few Schizocosa mccooki wolf spiders, and they do very well in captivity, and don't bite or throw up a defensive pose.  They are skittish, though, and lightning fast, so they shouldn't really be held unless you know what you're doing.  Otherwise, you might smash them on accident.  I might make a few feeding videos of mine, you can literally toss them a bug, and they'll catch it. I mean really catch it, like you threw them a beer. :laughing:

Here is a Bothriocyrtum californicum i collected yesterday evening..  she's huge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

quarter for scale.  body length (head to tip of abdomen alone) just over 2".   

13. #34 InhaledGold, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
    I don't have a pet tarantula but I'm pretty interested in them. If I remember correctly a lot of the old world tarantulas look amazing. 
    Edit: It'd be cool if any of you guys with nice cameras could do some photo shoots.

14. #35 Beef Supreme, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013

That things is just plain adorable, especially when it jumped on the camera.

I found an octagonal fish tank at a garage sale today! Only thing was it doesn't have the lid to it so I just took an air-saw to some plastic grating.

Here she is just finishing digging a little; She's been messing with two different places but she favors the one under the log, it's a pretty big chamber, she came walk around inside it; couldn't get a good pic of it due to iphones sucking with lighting but you can see it real well in person. She has moved dirt everywhere, she'll lay web down everywhere then cover it up the next day from digging haha

[​IMG]

15. #36 yurigadaisukida, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
    [quote name="smokehound" post="18168984" timestamp="1370469401"]Aphonopelma are the most docile tarantulas on earth. These never bite. They're actually more likely to flick their urticating hairs at you.[/quote]Whicj can cause temporary blindness so be carfulEdit: unless im mixing up my spiders. The ones here in southern nevada can shoot hairs in your eyes causing temporary blindness.Idk if theu do it a lot or not. Ive never even seen.oneI think they stay away from.townSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I've never had her do it at me once, just handle her delicately and don't give her a reason to feel threatened.

17. Honestly, I've never seen a north american Aphonopelma flick hairs.  They seem to be much more curious than defensive.

In fact, much like my bothriocyrtum, i have to really piss her off to get her to react defensively.

The only aphonopelma i've ever seen flick hairs IRL was a mexican orange-knee., and it was very defensive.

Out of all tarantulas, aphonopelma are the best IMO.  As with all organisms, however, temperament varies with the individual.

My Tarantula is a total sweetheart, she eats well, too.  She actually seems to enjoy walking on my hand, she'll gently investigate every finger, trying to make sense out of what I am.

18. Yo I'd totally be down to get a tarantula but I wan't a fuzzy one that doesn't bite haha, some tarantula's look terrifying... 

19. Get an aphonopelma or brachypelma species, both are wonderful pets, but like all tarantulas, test their mood before touching them, and never surprise them.  Some are docile enough to pick up like a hamster.  Just let them walk onto your hand, and it's all good.

One species i do NOT trust on my hands are rosehairs..  

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZgdkurcGc[/video]

Check that video out, no warning display, no abdomen raising, just a flat-out attempt to kill.

dont ever listen to advice from a petstore.  rose hairs are not beginner tarantulas.  

grammostola, theraphosa, chromatopelma and Haplopelma are well known for being downright evil.

Cobalt blues are beautiful, though..  most stunning Tarantulas ever.. sadly they are burrowers, and their venom is very potent.