Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tarantula Bite

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Bluntsen Burner, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hey everyone. Just got bit by my beautiful 4 1/2 inch, Usambara Orange Baboon Tarantula and sadly, it was not a dry bite. My hand is now swollen and I can feel the venom moving up my arm. After reading up on some nasty bite stories, Pterinochilus murinus - Arachnoboards
    I called my dealer and asked for some strong Indica. I'm hoping that weed will help with some of the side effects. I don't feel like anything bad can come of smoking with venom running through you but if anyone thinks it would be bad please speak up.
    I might update on how it helps but it's pretty hard to type so who knows.
    (Btw i won't die from this so don't freak on me just sitting at home.)

2. i fucking hate spiders

3. holy shit...

4. Again, no one freak out. Not going to die or anything, just wondering if smoking would be bad or helpful.

5. Congratulations on your new OBT! :D

I've never heard of weed used to deal with the pain of P. murinus bites, or tarantula bites in general, but I would be interested to know how it works out for you.

The one thing I do recall about envenomations was someone who got bitten by a Scolopendra sp. centipede and said that (conventional heavy-duty painkiller we aren't allowed to discuss here) did nothing to help with the pain. :eek:

Here's hoping you have better luck with weed than he did with his solution. :)

6. Thanks, the OBT was actually my first T, had it for a while. I've heard pain killers and such do nothing to help, have not seen anything on weed so far so hoping it will help me get to sleep before the pain gets worse.

7. Shit I always thought pet spiders were like de-fanged or something...

8. I remember when I worked at a pet store and for the people wanted to buy a tarantula (3 people, they were weirdo's too) I would unlock the little cage and toss a fish bag at them and let them go to town. Fuck. Spiders

9. Anti-Swag.

10. I thought tarantulas couldn't bite humans...?

11. Does this look like something that can't bite? :)

But seriously, there are many types of tarantula who have a fairly easygoing temperament, and are less inclined to bite, primarly those which are from the new world rather than Africa/Asia/Australia etc.

I owned two tarantulas, an Avicularia geroldi (blue green pinktoe) and a Grammastola rosea (chilean rose hair), and I never got bitten, though the pinktoe did like squirting poo a lot. :D

Attached Files:

12. You should post a picture of your spider OP. And good luck with the stuff. I've never been bit by one so I dunno how bad the pain is supposed to really be. But I've never heard of marijuana being a problem with venom.. then again I've never heard of the two together at all.. I doubt it would be a problem.

13. did you smoke yet? damn I wanna see if the weed will actually help. one more medical use for marijuana!

14. Pic of spider and bite would be nice

15. I did a summer of federal research in entomology (even though spiders are arachnids, I know a lot, have had several). A tarantula bite is no bigger deal than a bee sting. Hurts like a mother, but unless, you are allergic, you have nothing to fear. TAKE A BENEDRYL RIGHT NOW. This will help if you ARE allergic. Clean the wound well with something like Bactine or Beta-dine, then ice it for 10-20 minutes on/15 minutes off. Put the ice in a washcloth, not directly on your skin.
    If you start having trouble breathing, etc. You are having an allergic reaction and you should have someone drive you to the ER right away. DO NOT drive yourself!
    Keep yourself calm, keep it clean, and you will be fine. Oh, and after you are done icing it, put some Neosporin with pain relief (lidocaine) on it.
    Good luck. Sorry ya got nailed. It happens!

16. ^^^ it depends on the tarantula that bit you. the obt is one of the severe ones. its an old world species and they tend to have the nastiest bites. if it were a Poecilotheria Regalis etc. he would be having chest pains fever even bleeding gums and the pain will not completely go away for months sometimes... CRAZY STUFF!!! BE CAREFUL NEXT TIME!!! never get too comfy good luck take a bong rip i think it will help =]

17. I hope you squashed that bit afterwards.

18. So, an update?

I had a Texas Brown back in the day, 1982-83 that got killed by whomever burgled my apartment :( Never bit me, friendly little thing. The urticating hairs itch though. Relatively easy pets, warm dry terrarium, half a dozen crickets every week or so, hot rock for basking, cozy crannies under other rocks for hiding, shallow bowl of water for drinking. Sort of like a lizard with too many legs :D

19. I hope your feeling okay OP :(