Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

tar particles in my phlegm..

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by minor, Dec 9, 2018.

1. i've run into a problem as of recently. i've been smoking daily for about a year and a half now, i use a bong and i take (kinda) big hits, around .25 - .50 each hit.
    now, i've started to run into a problem as of recently, i've started to get phlegm in the back from my throat that taste like weed tar, it makes my throat feel really dry and scratchy too, i've coughed it up and it comes out what seems to be little particles in my lungs.
    if anyone here has had some type of problem that's the same, will a switch to a vaporizer for a week or two fix this? i have a pax 3 sitting around that i can use instead, taking a tolerance break isn't much of an option, as i can't hold down food without smoking right after.
    i'd hate to take a break from my bong, cause then i'm gonna have to retrain my tollerance & lungs, but i gotta put my health first.
    let me know your thoughts

2. I switched to a vaporizer years ago and never looked back. A desktop unit with a hydrator would serve you well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I would use the pax 3 for a week and see if you are still getting it.

I want to say you could be getting some particles when you are smoking it but you said you are using a bong so I would say it could be something else.

Is this only happening after you smoke?

4. sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't happen until about 2-3 hours after i smoke,

5. I'm just wondering if you didn't smoke, if it would happen again.

For troubleshooting purposes, I would switch to your vaporizer for about 2 weeks since you have one and if it persists I would say go to the doctor. GL!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. dropping this bong addiction is aboutta be real hard. i'll keep you guys updated.

7. Hey I vape 100% of the time now days and I can still enjoy the bong with it. Just get yourself an adapter :)

You wont be taking half gram hits though haha

8. yeahh that's unfortunately what i love about my bong. it's that heavy hit in the back of your lungs that you really can't get anywhere else.
    i could only imagine how horrible my lungs would be if i was still mixing tobacco with my weed like i was a few months ago.
    i'll definetly look into an adapter, though.

9. You actually likely wouldn't be coughing up any tar at all if you were smoking tobacco, tobacco paralyzes the cilia in your lungs so they can't clean themselves out properly which is basically what is happening when you are coughing that crap up, lungs are clearing tar out from the weed smoke. I noticed when I switch mainly to vaping this goes away for me, but I have been back to smoking my bong for a while now

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you really are coughing up bits of tar then switching to a vaporizer for a week or two isn't going to solve your problem. I knew this guy who dabbed so heavily it was almost like pouring oil down his lungs and he didn't cough up tar. He sure did cough though. You probably have some throat irritation, just switch to a vaporizer full time if it's worrisome.