Tap water

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kyla420, Nov 4, 2015.

1. I've been buying gallons of spring water for a long time. Gallons and gallons, hundreds of gallons. Partially because I don't even drink the tap water in the metro area of the USA that I live in but also because everything I've heard from folks has always been to get RO or spring water or at the very least distilled water. so when I began to grow I just went with it. Lately though I've been seeing experienced growers on this site say to just use tap water straight out of the faucet. What does everyone think? Who's using the tap?

2. I use straight tap water and just pH it down to where I need it to be and they don't seem to mind it very much

• Like Like x 3
  3. Keep using RO water if you can especially when it only costs $0.35 at Walmart per gallon....I've always had amazing results using RO water....58 days from seed 16 inches tall third day of flowering.

Attached Files:

4. I've been using tap water for several years now. The treatment plants switched away from chlorine to chloramine and there isn't enough in tap water to do any damage to your plants. There are also valuable micronutrients in tap water that are good for your plants. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.....I did the same thing for the whole first year I started. LOL TWW

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lol valuable micronutrients in tap water...Yea they're called pharmaceuticals, as a matter of fact I was just reading a study that did into US tap water and found that one city has traces of 67 different pharmaceuticals in there water, and the average US city has five different pharmaceuticals in there tap water, so yeah great micronutrients lol.....I'll continue to use RO water and I'll add my own micronutrients!

• Like Like x 1
  6. You go right ahead and do that Twang. As for me, I have better things to do with my money and time other than dragging home gallons and gallons of empty water for my plants. Just because you don't know and understand or agree, does NOT make it wrong or mean that it will not work. I have been watering straight out of the tap for years and I'll put my plants up against yours any day of the week. Sounds like you need to do a little more study. TWW

• Like Like x 5
  7. straight tap water over here. Maybe im just cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I used tap water from my garden hose to water my plants. It left a certain flavor to it....

9. I'm not saying that using tap water won't work it will work perfectly fine I use tap water for a while but if you can its best to use RO water! Btw you definitely don't want to put your plants up against mine!!

10. Not all tap water is equal...some water treatment facilities do a much better job than others. If the system puts out decent water that doesn't seem to taste funky or look like something out of the old Saturday Night Live parody commercials about Cleveland water, then it would do the job. For the most part, tap is what I used with my first grow, save for a couple of gallons of distilled water that I had from another project...

• Like Like x 1
  11. great point. The tap here in northern california is pretty good. At least whats left of it....

12. Ive dragged water from a artesian well and now I just use my tap water but run it out the day before.and I PH ajust so it doesn't matter anyways.but like the white widow said keep dragging them jugs

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

13. the answer to this really depends on your location, and artesian well your company sucks from, some pumps suck for 100's of miles, so go visit and drill them
    imo, I use the local tap water and take the ph at every watering, then dilute with RO/other when its outta wack!

you use only RO water..you then need to add them minerals which RO removes, mostly Calcium and Magnesium

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  14. Don't trust water

15. I'm happy that you are proud of your grow but it is kind of "run of the mill" around here, it definitely doesn't warrant a challenge [​IMG]. Honestly, The Widow White would more than likely grow circles around you......
    They are measured in parts per billion or trillion, do you understand how little that is??? So little that it would take millions of gallons of water to make one pills worth of said pharmaceutical. You are not displaying your argument in a practical light, which contributes to the spread of misinformation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I only use Evian in my plants.

But seriously, how are your houseplants doing? Do you have a yard? If so, how is the grass and other plants? How about your neighbor? They all use tap water. Check your city water report. I've only used tap water and things are fine but I guess some folks have fucked up water. I'll bet that 90+% of folks could just use tap water.

• Like Like x 3
  17. I can already tell you're a dick rider...Do you know White Widow? have you seen his plants before? Let me say this clearly so you comprehend...Using tap water is fine but if you can you should use RO water!

18. That's very true I'm not saying you can't use tap water and get great results... What I'm saying is if you can get RO water easily it would be beneficial to use that over tap water.

19. #19 Vee, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Not everyone shares the good stuff, end of summer there is a national shortage of the wetstuff, and water companies are very desperate, just ask anyone from LA
    Its always a good idea to be serious with water, more so ..see the pic, if you are from the east coast, and be fighting calcium lockout constantly

heres the read:
    http://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html

• Like Like x 1
  20. A dick rider you say? So much for a intelligent response huh? I frequently see The Widow White giving good information and presenting it in a non "dickish" way, unlike yourself. Comprehension is something you seem to lack honestly, you came on here in your first post acting like tap water is some toxic sludge. Now your saying it's fine but RO is better, sounds to me like you don't have a firm grasp on growing yet. I tried to keep the wording to as few syllables as possible, help ya interpret some of this stuff champ.

• Like Like x 1