Tap water PH too high 8.5

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Ben_Gropp, Mar 28, 2021.

1. One of my main issues in growing has been my tap waters PH. What do y'all recommend to be effective in lowering my tap waters ph from 8.5 down to the preferred 6.5. I've tried amending the soil with lime, but I imagine it's still not right.
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

2. Citric acid crystals is what I use. Organic gmo free. Keeps my Pj down without using synthetics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Screenshot_20210328-051859_Chrome.jpg I really like the advanced nutrients p.h. down when using tap water and g.h. ph for using r.o. water.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lime made things worse.
    You add lime to raise soil PH.
    Sulfur lowers PH. Add 1 tablespoon of powdered sulfur per cubic foot of soil
    ============================= web grab
    Soil pH can be reduced most effectively by adding elemental sulfur, aluminum sulfate or sulfuric acid.
    =======================================

BNW

5. Ok thanks for the replies, can I use a garden hose feeder or do I need to mix it in watering can?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

6. I'm no expert on this but I think you top dress this type of thing wait for one of the guys for sure but I believe you mix it in with the top couple in. Of soil.

7. To control PH is easy to do with all natural ingredients in your kitchen...
    Vinegar is terrific for raising PH and baking soda is great for lowering PH...
    Whenever possible I use the most natural means possible to grow herb with...
    I'm a compost advocate that campaigns for using finished compost as an additive to grow pots for not just a macro nutrient boost..but also for the minor nutrients that most people miss ...like molybdenum!...also as a top dressing AND a water additive as plant food.
    Last summer,I grew 9' tall plants ...in freakin NOVA SCOTIA! All on the total compost method...it kicks ass..takes names and leaves NEXT TO NO SALT to need to be flushed out...a good flush is essential...butt...easier and more thorough using compost as a nutrient source...
    One final thought about why compost is vastly superior to plant foods ...besides being next to free(dump yer kitchen crap,leaves,paper and other whatnot)...it,in it's natural form,is exactly what ALL plants use in nature as food...cycle of nature and all that rots!‍

8. Uh...harsh chemicals like that need to be watered down first...most heavy or harsh chemicals will burn the plants....like nitrogen or phosphorus if top dressed...even good compost needs to be mellowed a bit if it's too "hot"....before top dressing.

9. #9 rightsideup, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    I grow outdoors in containers filled with cocoa based soil mix. our water here is about 8.5, and I don't touch it.
    After I had a little bit of liquid kelp and a quarter teaspoon per gallon of soluble fertilizer the pH is down to about 7.
    If I measure the runoff it's about 6 to 6.5.

Unless you're growing in hydro or pure coir with no organic matter, so il will buffer the pH pretty well.
    If you're growing outdoors in soil you need to worry more about your soil and not so much about the water.

You should do a slurry test. Take your 8.5 water and whatever nutrients you might put in there and mix it with some soil that's several inches down and let it sit for a few minutes and stir it then check the pH.

Sent from my phbgf uijj tplkjn