Tap root

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jj420aded, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Planted a couple seeds an they sprouted except for one . So I gently moved the soil an found the seed an a little bit of the tap root was sticking up so I flipped it over an put it back in the soil. Think it'll be ok

Sent from ........ using Grasscity Forum

2. Now your plant is gonna grow upside down.

3. lmao, yeah man your plants not gonna grow, you might want to flip it back over. the tap root is the actual root of the plant. the top of the plant it self is in the seed. so yeah, flip it over man or its not gonna grow

4. #4 RedganjaDown, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
    As I understand theOP, he flipped the tap root to be pointing down, not up. OP, I think you did the right thing. Whether it grows or not....time will tell.

Check out my newest grow in my signature link.

Attached Files:

5. Ya I found it an seen the tap root sticking up so I figured it was upside down so I flipped it to were the tap root is facing down in the soil

6. They right themselves as they grow. You just 'confused" the seed...the root would have curved and burrowed back down and seedling would have grown upwards...now....who knows?

7. I still will if he didnt shock it too bad. i've done the same many times being impatient when i first started. actually once yesterday! and its doing great(as great as a one day old seedling could. lol)

8. Arite thanks for all the replys an help

9. I have, too...not just with MJ. But I've also seen it kill them. Like I said "who knows?".

10. #10 mandrin13, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
    Actually I have read to point the root up, as it will curve down naturally as it grows:

[​IMG]

I believe this is correct as it matches what you see when the seed emerges, rather than coming straight up through the soil it breaks through almost sideways as the top half of the photo above would end up doing, this is important as the friction against the soil aids in the shell removal.  I think eitherway they will grow, but in the future you may want to follow this.