Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tamisium Extractor - help with end product

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by leftkidney, May 28, 2012.

1. well I got the Tamisium TE175 super deluxe extractor, so far I have had much better results then friends who use the normal BHO making method of the tube and a can - you can recover the butane used but it takes about 1 hour and then you need a transfer solvent in there and since butane is the cheapest I just dont do a full recovery and leave about 40% of the butane in there to act as a transfer solvent

I am getting N-Butane (its on order) so its better then the can stuff and is actually FDA approved for use in food products for human consumption

many people are talking about how BHO isnt as good as CO2, well what they done seem to mention is how they are going to first get the high pressure machines needed (like 1800-2200 psi, vs butane thats less then 100 psi) and second how to polarize the CO2 because all CO2 comes un-polarized from either Praxair or AirGas, some polarized CO2 can be got for specialty CO2 laser systems but its not cheep so you are better off doing it your self but thats not easy

and again N-Butane is FDA approved for "everything in food" (caned butane is about 80% N-Butane and 18% propane or other like gas and about 2% methyl propyl butyl, the methyl propyl butyl being not a good thing to have in there)

but N-Butane is how peppermint oil is made as well as other oils that are extracted from plants and hundreds of artificial ingredients that are in everything that almost everyone eats every day so all this crap about BHO not being safe is mostly all false as long as its done correctly after its extracted, and thats what I am looking into now

however, its what is done after its made that the problems can come up

we have had many different consistency of the end product ranging from a nice " crushed vanilla cake" looking stuff that wouldnt stick together that well to a greasy wax looking stuff and some "peanut butter" all the way to a hard brittle flat piece

a few things we have learned are these

mainly it should be clear like amber when its its most pure, like the misquote in amber from Jurassic Park

1. the use of diethyl ether is key to purifying it if you arent using a vac purge, and even then its not a bad idea - its going to evaporate all the way and leave nothing behind - put a few mills into it and mix it about a little and let it evaporate away

2. "whipping" it is not a good idea, it adds oxygen to it and it can actually cause carcinogens to form from the reaction of the O2 and the butane this is what makes it not clear - we have had it change vastly fom just "whipping" it and it taste much worse

3. heating it up can cause it to change darker and harden up also not a good thing from what we gather

the end products are put through a gas chromatograph mas spectrum analyzer or GCMS and we are finding some alarming things with the "whipped" or "peanut butter" stuff - they have higher amounts of carbon which isnt good to smoke and some trace carcinogens as well as lower THC numbers, the highest was 77% THC (it was a clear amber glob) and it went down to 41% after heating it up and whipping it up (also got dark and opaque) so thats not good to do to it

Me and my friend are finding out some things about making it but any more info anyone has would be good - my friend as I mentioned in other posts has a few PHD's so we know what we are doing for the most part but this is new stuff for most people and the people in labs using large butane extractors arent to nice to some stoners even if one of them has some prestigious credentials so getting info about doing this isnt easy

I will post pics latter, I will take some the next time we make some which should be in a few days

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. i think this would fit a little better in harvesting and proccesing marijuana. very interesting though

3. yea I didnt want to post it in the wrong section so I picked here

any mods feel free to move it to where ever it fits best

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. all this shit makes you think smoking weed is rocket science man...

5. If your just looking for better end product you can dewax with acetone, there is a thread on mycotopia I believe. You can also winterize, but I think the dewaxing thread is best, it also talks of a water wash and activated carbon wash, just depends on how far you want to go with it. The end product is see through if you go through all the trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1

6. Being satisfied with your current amount of knowledge about ANYTHING is dangerous. Always stay learning.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I love every single thing about this thread, so much knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ok....:le rolls dem eyes:

9. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

If the world was full of people like you, we'd still be living in caves. I think knowing even a marginal amount about the plant you put into your body daily couldn't hurt.

10. id love to duke it out but,

a. no want
    b. no time
    c. no need

:le:

11. Still not following. Take it easy.

12. If you aren't whipping it and you're not heating it, can you give us some more info about how you are purging it? I've been running tane for a couple years, never had the pleasure of running with a Tamisium though. I'm still purging with heat, but I'm always trying to learn more and improve my methods so any more info would be really appreciated.

13. #13 leftkidney, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
    its been a while since I posted, I have some pics that will show more of what I am doing

almost all the "wax" (or whatever you want to call it) I make is with nugs only or nugs and trim, if I use only trim I will mention that with the pics but these are all from nugs only - nugs that I picked specially and carefully took all the green leaves out of before crushing up and putting through this machine

feel free to download these pics because I am using a free hosting service so they will probably be gone in a month or something like that, re-post them if you want

there are videos on youtube that show how to use the tamisium check those out

what I do is I waste the butane, I dont recover it because I need a "transfer solvent" and I have tried Ether but even after a vacuum chamber it still smells and taste like ether

I run it through the machine and when its done I pour it into a 8x8 pyrex dish thats floating in a bigger pyrex dish with 140 deg F water until most of the liquid butane evaporates away - outside so I dont blow up my house or something like that

then before it all evaporates away (or boils away as it is) I pour that into a smaller 2 cup round pyrex dish, a custard cup (thats actually whats its called on amazon when I bought it, a 2 cup custard cup) then put that into another pyrex dish inside the house thats got 130 deg F water in it and as the rest of the butane goes away I mix it up a little with a pick

the water temp must be maintained between 110-130 max deg F, I usually keep it at 120 - if it cools down to much you wont get it to be clear ever

then while its still 120 deg F or so I put it into the vacuum chamber and put it under -30kpa (I will have to check the gauge to be sure thats the correct unit of measure, but its -30 something) and leave it in there until it gets to vecuum - then take it out put it back into the hot water so that it stays around 120-120 deg F and then back into the vacuum chamber again, sometimes I do this a few times but sometimes it only takes 1 or 2 times before its all clear

when it cools down to normal temps its like a jolly rancher sorta, a little less hard but sorta the same

this is what happens if all the air bubbles dont get out of it before it cools and they ahrden like this, these are not bubbles but craters
    [​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/u36b1

[​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/x2zz3

when done properly it should be clear like this
    [​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/6jj4k

[​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/kogav

[​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ntm7s

[​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/wcpmd

a side view so you can see about how thick it is, only about 2-5mm at most
    [​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/4oowi

this one was made with a different strain of weed, I think it was Lemon Skunk and as you can see its a different color sorta - the others were Sour Diesel
    [​IMG]
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ady2f

you might notice what looks like dist in the clear pics, they are really really really small air bubbles that get trapped, its hard to do it perfectly but I am getting better all the time

latter I will post some pics of the machine and the process, I will try to take pics with a better camera other than my camera phone and show the whole process

I could probably make a video but that will be latter

14. Hello left kidney. Thank you very much for your detailed post. I have a question. In the tamisium you tube video the guy demonstrating how to you the extractor, said that you could use olive oil as a secondary solvent. Is there some problem using this with cannabis? Also what kind of vacuum chamber are you using? Is it a labratory grade vacuum, or like a rotary evaporator?

15. The only thing that I could think of is that, the olive oil would
    be hard or impossible to smoke.

16. The olive oil was for his gasket. don't use it as a transfer solvent unless you are going to use for edibles.

17. Me also

• Leftkidney this is the butaine?

[​IMG]

18. he has not posted since 2015 , might use the reply or send him a message may at least show up in a email . That does look right do have a link?

19. Thank you