Taking Cuttings To Sex Plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by kipdrordy21, Jun 26, 2014.

1. I'm growing plants from seed and have taken cuttings from each teenage plant (about 6 weeks old) and stuck them in rockwool under a light that started 12/12 now down to 10/14.  The oldest cuttings are definitely starting to show signs of sex but it's hard to tell gender even after a few days of transition.  The top center of about 6 of them have a white looking flower but can't tell if its a male flower or female. These cuttings are already 16 days old.  I should probably buy a magnifying glass to look at node for hairs or balls. 

2. Why are you doing it that way. I would of put the cutting under 18 hour light and then kept track of the mothers or fathers for sex.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I think you misunderstood the reason of the process.  The mothers and fathers are the plants that will be grown and the cuttings are just to verify the sex of the parents.  The cutting will not sex under 18 hours of light.

4. that way you spend lots of space and light on males. Fucking around IMHO.

I would flower the big plants and veg the female clones while the parents flower.

I stopped doing all that and just grew from fem seeds and cloned them.

Clones in hydro kick ass!

5. I normally flower the originals and veg the clones ready to flower once the originals have finished. But either way is fine really.

Put a focussed full colour photo up of them and I'm sure we will be able to sex them 

6. Got more of the cuttings starting to flower, I still can't make out what they are.  They all look the same, just like an ordinary garden flower but a fraction of the size.  No balls and doesn't seem to have actual hairs.  No indicators at the node either.  I'm starting to wonder if this is because they don't have roots.

I will try to get some close up pics tommorow.

7. #7 GoldGrower, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    No balls and no hairs sounds like they are not flowering at all.

Looking like an ordinary garden flower sounds like they aren't even marijuana plants

How many plants do you have? 

8. #8 kipdrordy21, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    Got quite a few. Here's some pics of various cutting from today.

Attached Files:

9. Can't tell a lick from those out of focus pics...

10. It's because the plant needs to be put into flowering. It's done by running lights 12/12 for two weeks or so. The clones need to be rooted first before they will flower. Most people prefer to take clones from the mother and root the clones. Once clones are taken the mother plant is put into flowering. Once mother plant shows sex then you either save her and the clones taken if female or trash mother and clones if male. There is no reason to save males unless you plan in making seeds. Also most people don't keep a mother plant to only pull clones from, they just flower them and use clones to clone the next generation. This should straighten thing out for you.

11. Ok, I don't plan on keeping any males beside maybe one or two good ones to produce seeds.  I took cuttings off each plant just to verify the sex of each parent plant.  The parent plants are the ones that will be grown this year and the corresponding cuttings will all be thrown away.  This sexing method is found all over the net.  Hope this clarifies everything.

12. Those cutting need to root first before introduced to 12/12 in order to sex. It seems you where skipping a step.

Why? He's not planning on growing them out, he just wants to sex them 

14. Because its not possible to flower a plant that doesnt have roots...

Sent from my C5215 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Yes it is possible for the plant to show sex, its all over the forums.

16. IMG_0002.JPG

[attachment=1491729:IMG_0001.JPG

These pics were taken yesterday.

Attached Files:

This is not true, they may well root before showing sex, but they will show it that much earlier. There is no sense waiting for roots when you can just root on 12/12 to see sex as early as you can 

That's not a flower that is just leaves growing out and the tip has yellowed. I honestly don't know why though. How long has growth stopped? 

18. #18 kipdrordy21, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
    Growth hasn't really stopped, they seem to keep maturing.  I will stay patient, at least I got the parent plants transplanted out of the 1/2 gallon pots.  Now I just gotta see which ones to pull out.  Who knows maybe the parent plants will show sex first!

Also, it doesn't seem to be a "leaf turning yellow at the tip".  

19. It sorta looks like a tomato plant flower. It's definitely not a marijuana flower, male or female, that's why I put it down to just new growth that has yellowed with damage. The two photos you put up look like the plant hasn't grown in between. Are you sure that main tip is growing? Are the side branches growing? 

20. #20 kipdrordy21, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
     They're slowly growing as the tray has become more crammed.  And yes it does look a lot like a tomato flower.