Taking bamboo cuttings/Any experts on board?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by poppybgood, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I have a clumping variety of bamboo that I have been semi-successful at propagating from cuttings, but have never really dialed it in to the point of near 100% . I read on a website that in warmer climates such as mine(zone 8b), it's best to take the cuttings and stob them directly where you want them to grow a few weeks before last expected frost. Using this method, I get about 30% of them to root.

does anyone have a better method they would like to share? I can post a pic of the variety if it would help.

2. poppybgood

This hits the high notes.......

LD

3. #3 poppybgood, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    Thanks LD. I'll check her out.

Edit: Yep, I already read that one as well. The stuff I have in insanely hard to dig out. I know there has to be a more productive way to propagate from cuttings, and this March I'm going to have a go with a few in straight soilless mix and see how they do. I was thinking more along the lines of I'm taking the cuttings to early and I need to let it warm a bit 1st.

4. poppybgood

I apologize for not remembering the good folks at One Green World in Molalla, Oregon about 20 miles from the Dawgz House.

The link I sent you is to their Bamboo Page and as you can see they have an incredible selection. The reason that I used that specific link is that his web site is 'functionally challenged' - great nurseryman but so-so on the web stuff. No big deal.

If nothing else you could call them and ask about buying this or that variety and the best way to manage the plant once it's up and running. Some of them grow at rates that if I posted it you'd think I was nuts - or even senile!

At any rate, dig around his web site for other trees & plants that he sells. The heirloom Apple page is remarkable.

Good folks and they've been in business many years and you can trust their products as well as their sage advice.

HTH

LD

5. Awesome. And yes, I've surfed various bamboo sites, and it seems people are a little on the reluctant side to give up their trade secrets. I believe I visited the one you are referring to before-nice pics, but hard to navigate. The variety I have is slow to sprawl, and it's the main resaon I want to only propagate it.

6. Here's a couple o' pics of the variety I have on hand. I have a few clumps on a densely forested part of my property that are 30+ ft tall. It makes long, wispy culms, not very good for building, but excellent for flutes and peace pipes, or so I've heard. My dream is to have the open part of my property skirted with this variety like a living privacy fence. Poppy likes to garden in the nude.:wave:

Anyhoo, the little bit of info I've been able to find on garden forums and such say that whatever method of propagation you use, to do it before the new culms shoot from the ground in spring. As you can see in these pics, it is Mid- January and this variety never really goes dormant. The culms that have been shooting all winter will explode with leafy growth and side branches until mid-summer, and then it will halt growth in the hottest months.

Attached Files:

7. each sectional joint will sprout next year of cut and left in the ground. just like grapes...

Used to do it all the time. still do with my "black" to make my 1 & 2 footer plant stakes.

8. Thanks Wharf. Would it be better to plant the cuttings horizontally other than vertically? Of the successful cuts I've made, I usually see new shoots within 6 weeks. However it isn't until it's established itself for a year or two that it really starts to push them out.