Taking a year off in College

Discussion in 'General' started by Amped, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Right now I'm in a 3 year program, Construction Engineering. I'm in my first year, second semester just started. This program would get me a good job w/ good money, but I honestly hate construction. I was forced to hop right into college and made a quick decision to join this program. None of my classes interest me, construction is not for me. I'm currently 18, would be 21 years old when I graduate if I go through with it.

I was thinking of withdrawing my tuition from this semester and take a semester or a year off. Thinking of going back home, I have a part time job in retail I know I can get guaranteed (just for a bit of money), and I want to apply to a bunch of Model Agencies, cause why not, I have nothing to lose and I think I have a good chance. I want to spend the time volunteering as well, basically just trying out new shit. I want to find something I actually like, and then come back to college for another program.

I ended up with a 3.2 GPA last semester, so that's not too bad. My advisor told me it shouldn't be a problem applying to any college again after my break as my transcript is fine.

What do you guys think? I figure if I finish the construction program I could be making good money but I wouldn't be HAPPY. Lol I have just found myself in the typical college kid situation..

2. i got my bachelors exactly 1 year ago. I told my self i would go back in 1 year for my masters. Its tough to be honest because i am used to this work flow i have been having for the past few months. I would have loved to take a backpacking road/euro trip if i could do it again. But its all about the motivation u have.

3. If that's what you feel like you need to do, go for it. You're in your first year, do you really want to take a "break" already? I took about a year long break and I regret it. I have less than 12 credit hours to graduate and it would have been last spring instead of this summer.

4. Thing is I'm in College, not University. Which I guess in America is called Community College.

Most programs are two year diploma programs. The one i'm in now is a 3 year diploma program. A program I really dislike though, i'm not meant for construction.

If I take a year off and re access things, the program I'd want to go back for would probably be 2 years. So I wouldn't really lose any time know what I mean. I'm also young as fuck still, younger than 90% of the people here at my college.

I want to do something big. I don't know what I like doing, but I want to do anything I can to find it instead of being stuck in construction and living a mediocre life. I believe im better than that, know what I mean?

5. bump simply for more opinions

6. If you're switching to a 2 year plan and that is what you want to do, go for it. Just remember it's a plan. It's up to you to actually graduate in that time. If you don't like construction, don't enter that trade and change your major. You should be able to work towards something doing your core classes, then take your major specific courses when you decide what to pursue.