switching to 12/12 cycle; decrease hours of light gradually?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by modern-hippy, Dec 29, 2015.

1. #1 modern-hippy, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
    I was wondering if doing a gradual light change
    to the 12/12 cycle would stress the plant out less then just going
    straight to 12/12. I know in nature, the days get shorter gradually,
    not just over night. I know some growers also give it 24 hours of
    darkness or more before going to 12/12.

I'm kind of wanting to try switching over to 12/12 gradually, by decreasing the
    hours of light by like 30 minutes a day, but I'm not sure if that would
    be beneficial, or a bad idea, or neither. I did a quick google search
    on the subject, and found conflicting information. Have you ever tried
    decreasing the light gradually? or do you know anyone who has? If so I
    would love to know what the results were. :)

One more question for ya : During the flowering cycle, would you suggest all
    soft white cfl's only, or a combination of daylight and soft white?

Attached Files:

2. I would turn the lights out for 24-36 hours then straight to 12/12

3. I also would leave the plants in dark for 24 hours and then switch. To combine lights during flower cycle sounds well. Good luck.

4. Or you can go straight 12/12...I'm sure you're gonna find multiple opinions on this...as far as lighting, if you're gonna spend $...go for LED or HID. You can get a 600w MH/HPS set up on amazon or ebay for $150. You'll definitely get ur money back in ur first harvest. Good luck

5. You absolutely can go straight to 12/12

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You probably will not notice much difference between flipping straight to 12/12, vs going dark for 24+ hrs then 12/12 or gradually decreasing light to 12/12. I guess there could be slight plant reaction variations from strain to strain to different methods. If you want to try the gradual method out of curiosity go for it...you may not see any benefits but don't worry about stressing them.

As for your lighting question. First i would recommend upgrading to led, hps, or both mh/hps. You can get some quality mh/hps kits for pretty cheap these days and the led prices have come down as well. But if cfl's are the only option i would recommend 80% high K (blue), 20% low K (red) lights during veg. and 20% high K, 80% low K during flower, or some prefer 100% red. Anything in the 5500K-7000K will work fine for blue and anything in the sub 4K will work for red but 2700K or lower would be best.