switching from fluros to hps

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by smokefx, Dec 3, 2012.

1. i had my ladies vegging in a tent with a 4x2 fluro and put them under a 1000w hps when they got bigger, and i notice this everytime but everytime i put them under the 1000w hps they get the dreaded claw, my ppms going in was around 600 (.5 tds conversion) im using ro water 5.8 ph, the room is a little colder low 70s high 60s with the hps on.

why do i run into this problem everytime? they look great under the fluros right when i switch to the hps they look overwaterered or something and dont look as happy under the 1000w

i have no switched them to flower yet either, they're getting 18/6 under the hps

2. Is the HPS hood air cooled? Maybe heat or the light too close. If you are at the flowering stage this is the transition period, read up on that. The same thing used to happen to me but I started paying attention to this transition and adjusted my feeding, always using Thrive or Superthrive at low doses and backing off the Nutes to about half and backed of the amount of watering. My first two coco grows all my plants suffered like yours are but since I changed my routine for the two weeks of transition everything has been better and no clawing.

3. What is clawing? I'm going into my first grow and vegging with cfl for 4 week then switching to hps to flower. What do I need to do?

4. I believe Clawing is when your leaf tips turn down, it resembles an eagles claw thus the term 'clawing'.

Transition itself is stressful to the plants because of the sudden lighting change. To over come the stress for the first 4 or 5 days after switching to 12/12 I place my HPS light about 15" above the top of the plants and make sure I supplement my feeding and watering with Thrive or Superthrive. I also use a product called Root 66. All of these supplements and feeds are used at 1/4 strength. I think raising the light and the Thrive/Superthrive probably had the most positive effects.

There can be a lot of variables but the environment and the stress the pant is having is what you need to mindful of. The things I do may not work for your situation, they are just things I have done in my environment that seemed to help.

The last thing to be aware of is Quality Genetics. Most of my problems could easily have stemmed from dubious seed sources(bag seed). I noticed that my quality seed bank seeds seemed to handle the transitions better.

Good luck

5. So when u say 1/4 strength, do u mean put in a 1/4 of advised nutes? The nutes I have are advanced nutrients. It works put at 250ml for 45 litres, so I would put like 60ml in the water instead?

6. Yes, that is what I would recommend. Do an internet search on the subject and you might find more information on this site and others. Coco is not the determining factor, it's the stress of the light change.

I am sure others in this Coco forum could give you some good advice as well. After your plants go thru this transition you can start increasing your nutrient amount. By the second week of the transition you could be feeding at 1/2 strength or even 2/3rds strength. Just take it easy and ramp up a little bit at a time. The key.. lessen the stress of the transition and as this period ends don't hammer the plants with full strength. FYI.. I never feed full strength of the recommend amount. I never had good luck following manufacturers recommendations, I use CNS17. Lot's of people here use Advanced Nutrients so they might be the ones to help you out with amounts of that line.