switched to soil from hydro, need pointers

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by smoka420, Dec 11, 2009.

1. I have seedling about 5" tall under 40W fluorescent light in a mix of Miracle Grow potting soil and perlite. They are very pale. I have Foxx Farms Ocean and Light Warrior soil ready for when I transplant, but none in the mix so far.

Should I turn on the HID lights, add nutrient, transplant to Foxx Farms, or any mix of those?

I have had great success in the past with hydro, but it just doesn't give the same flavor as soil, so I switched. Responses appreciated.

2. transplant to the ff soils and water then hid light then shortly after that more nutes....

i did it once....hydro sucks......SOIL,SOIL..SOIL.

3. Thanks, will do. Does 1/1/1 Ocean/Warrior/perlite sound right?

Do I still have to monitor the pH level of the water I use?

4. I like 25% perlite in my soil,,,,that would be 1 1/2/1 1/2/ 1 if my math is correct (it is).

5. Should I use the Fox Farm Big BLoom nutes? I was hoping that using Fox Farm soil I wouldn't have to deal much with nutes.

How long should I expect it to take for the plants to start greening up?

thanks!

6. ( 2 or 3 days. )

7. ...Now they are burning. The leaves are turning brown and some of the tips are curling upward. WTF. Over.

8. The seedlings are now on the third tier of leaves, and the first tier is not pretty much toast. The upper leaves started out nice and green and firm, but they are now turning pale and droopy. The older leaves are yellowing, burning, and some are curling at odd angles. Any growth is so slow it is barely noticeable from day to day.

THe setup consists of Strawberry Cough from seed potted in the recommended Ocean Forest/Light Warrior/Perlite mix under a 400W light. The temperature is around 60-65F away from the light and probably about 70F under the light. Any advice from experienced indoor soil growers will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. Looks like they are stretching for light. I keep my 400w about 13-17" away from my plants in veg.

10. I've got them in FFOF with corected pH water and the FF recommended dose of FF grow fertilizer. Now they're REALLY going to shit! Most of them are pale and the old leaves falling off. Some are dark green and wilting. I'll post some pics on Saturday when i have time.

What are the signs that the air is too dry?

FF says to give the growth fert and the bloom fert while they're growing. I'm only giving the growth fert bc I never really expected to need any ferts at all until towards the end of the grow. Does anybody use FF ferts with FF soil? Do you use them just like the instructions say?

11. you can wait for up to a month (probably more) in ff0f without using anything. you may be burning your plants with the grow big/tiger bloom stuff. big bloom wont burn.

12. Another question: Do you use the same pH adjuster chemicals for soil water as hydro water? The reason I ask is that water I adjust to 6.5 today will be 7.5 tomorrow. I always thought that was from the plants in my hydro system using the nutes, but now I see that it does the same thing just sitting in a pitcher overnight.

Anybody add dolomite lime to FFOF?

13. stop using ferts if u still are. i find good results with a brita pitcher, gives me 6.5-6.6 all day. flush the shit from that miracle grow that might still be lurking. dont follow the directions on that fert bottle, they just want you to use it all up and buy more! a good ph down is white vinegar, but no more than a teaspoon per gallon. if you require more than that, get another water source. give them a proper flush and wait it out.