surfing appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by tokin jax, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Been meaning to surf since I was like 10 years old :(
    Been snowboarding, longboarding, skating my whole life and I know it's one of those things I have to incorporate into my life. Only thing is I live in jersey where if you're lucky I guess you get like 4 foot waves. But it'll have to do for this summer. Any particular boards anyone could recommend for me? Looking for something I won't just wanna ditch after I get decent. And def not foam :smoking:

2. I would start on a longboard or a huge shortboard. Honestly if you tried to start on a board you would want when your decent you would be like fuck surfing

3. i used to live in the south west of england which is where the surfing is. now i only get to go down there 3/4 times a year max which means about 8-12 surfs a year (unless theres some miraculous south coast swell....which can happen). surfing is the bomb....need to take a year or two out sometime so i can do it every day

plus its like the best thing to do high.....scary as shit if its anything over 4' though...plus how much better is it to be stoned and feel like a demigod in the water versus the usual fat slob on the sofa routine

4. and i know many people would disagree with me on this one but i think you should start on a bodyboard.....get used to catching waves-how steep it needs to be etc- and being in the water in general....then get a 7-8' funboard or something

yeah or just get a longboard and do it the conventional way....im lucky i started young so i hardly remember the massive learning curve. im getting emotional now thinking of my dad pushing me into 2' clean waves....how spoiled for a beginner i was

5. where my NC surfers at???

6. How have the waves been down there. Im in NY and we've had nothing since Sandy. Fuckin sucks

7. Sunrise, Jack Johnson, 5 foot lefts, and a fatty...life is good.....

8. ^^ First post in the surfing thread. I like this guy already. Welcome to the city, brah. :smoke:

9. haven't had anything more than overhead since sandy too, we got maaaaaaad residual swells when sandy passed through. Good time to bust out the nose-rider for some lil wave action!

10. I definitely feel the longboard so I think i'll most likely end up going for that. could anyone point me to a particular brand/length/model? I'm 5'8, like 160 pounds just for reference

11. No, I mean we literally have had NOTHING. Like its been flat to 1 foot since Sandy. Theres been nothing rideable.

12. [quote name='"Ska and Bake"']I definitely feel the longboard so I think i'll most likely end up going for that. could anyone point me to a particular brand/length/model? I'm 5'8, like 160 pounds just for reference[/quote]

It doesn't matter man buy one that's a piece of shit for cheap. 8 or 9 feet probably. When your just learning all the technical aspects of shaping don't mean shit

13. ^^^ Agreed. Your first board will take a beating. Oh and DO NOT BUY A FOAM BOARD. A lot of the time it feels totally different to a regular board. Now about to go surfing in 30 degree Fahrenheit ocean water :p

14. I've always wanted to learn how to surf, probably give it a shot this summer! So excited :)

15. #35 tokerface, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
    [quote name='"sweetpotaters"']^^^ Agreed. Your first board will take a beating. Oh and DO NOT BUY A FOAM BOARD. A lot of the time it feels totally different to a regular board. Now about to go surfing in 30 degree Fahrenheit ocean water :p[/quote]

Brrrr why not just go snowboarding haha

It would have to be so epic to get me out there.

16. I live by the board brah I got a hollister board

17. daaaaamn man, too shitty. I'm southern shore, like Carolina beach/ wrightsville area and we get a good set at least once a week, something about barrier islands i guess:confused:.

Hope you get some surf your way soon man! You fux with any SUP? that can be chill on those flat days

18. I'm southern shore long island, ny. Barrier Island as well. Idk wtf is going on though.

The SUP's are pretty sick, but I don't have motivation to go out in 30 degree water just to use it lol. Summertime I will use it sometimes.

Make sure to enjoy your next set for me! :)

19. Tack me onto that too - living North Coast, Australia sucks when you're surf hungry. :eek: