Suicide

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mr Skinner, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Wht do you folks think? Is it a human right to take ones own life?

Here it's actually illegal to commit suicide (it's an old law and I don't think it's active any more). Wonder if you should recieve the death penalty for trying lol

And what happened to the classics? Toaster or hairdryer in the bathtub? Not as messy as jumping off a bridge or in front of a train! Seems to me most attempts here are od-ing on painkillers. And that's probably the worst method ever since it takes about a week to die. And this week you'll be in great pain since you die from liver poisoning...

2. You're not hinting around, are you Skinner? This is just a general conversation, right? Do I need to fly to outer space and rescue you? :)

3. Haha...nah...lax, my dear. I'm far from suicidal....

It's a matter we've discussed at work (you know I work at the psych ward and meet about 1-2 new suicidals every week). We all agreed that suicidals must be going through a deep personal crisis to actually give death a serious thought. And most crisis can be dealt with by other means. And I would attempt everything I could to stop people from killing themselves..

Still I feel on a matter of principle...it's your life and you should have the freedom to make your own decisions. I think on this basis it would have to be a human right to commit suicide...

Or is it?

P.s. good to know someone would follow me to outer space to rescue me... ;)

4. DONT DO IT MAN!!!!!!!!!!! Look just put down the pills and come and smoke this GB with me k :smoking:

5. Damn...I knew I should've posted it in the philosophy forum...just didn't know if it fitted there...

Anyhoo...your opinions, please

6. it's illegill here too mate..............some people say it's a cowards way out..........bullshit, not that i condone it, anythings better than being dead...........but it's a sad day when someone thinks that whatever problems they have, the only way is hari-kari............to even think about it makes me squirm, to think, never to wake up again, never to see people you loved again......EVER...........that's not a cowards way out, and i'd say it must take a lot of courage to know that what you are doing WILL be the end of your existence.............over here on the Bridges they have free phones to the Samaritans who'll try and talk them down...............Peace out............Sid

7. Haha...way better that the spanish approach: They put up unbreakable, 2.5m high glass at bridges in Madrid to prevent people from jumping. Like that'd keep anyone from suicide...

8. the catholic church has stopped seeing it as a mortal sin. they now know its a mental issue.

9. If I'd go to outer space to rescue you then I'd certainly move a thread for you. :)

10. it's stupid to make suicide illegal.. it's bad enough that the suicidal person failed his/her attempt that they have to haul them to jail right after.. like that's a load off their shoulders, they'll just be at it again.. while it is a type of homocide, it is also not a good idea to let these people be penalized for trying to end their lives.. they need a form of help, not penalties..

and yeah, the catholic church says a lot of things.. so inconsistent.. changing their views on stuff sooo often..

11. Thanks...sorry if I worried you...

Soldier...yeah...you shoulodn't get another problem when you try to solve a problem the wrong way, especcially when it mostly concerenes your own person...

And the catholic church...don't get me started...I grew up with a strict, devoted catholic father...I've followed the vaticans rulings and it always seems like they give with one hand and take with the other...e.g. they stopped banning condoms because there were too many catholics in Africa getting AIDS due to their belief that condoms are against their religion, though they didn't stop having sex. Still, a few months later the vatican spread the word that condoms don't protect you from AIDS...

But back to the issue...

Do you think suicide is a human right or not?

12. I think it's a human right, since it has only to deal with the person's health, and not others, except for those loved ones, but that's on a different level. i remember those days when i actually thought suicide was a semi-good alternative to whatever was going on. silly moog i was.

13. Human right. I mean, if I kill myself, what are they going to do to me? Granted, it screws the beneficiaries of my life insurance but other than that...what can they do?

From a different angle, though....what would it do to your soul? I wouldn't do it due to the possibility that I'd really fuck things up for soul...karma's a bitch and since I don't know for sure what will happen when I die, I want to at least not fuck it all up myself.

14. Good point for those who belive in a soul....

A soul is supposed to be everlasting, so you have two possibilities here...

1.:You reciever your soul at birth and it lives after you die...
    2.: Reincarnation: Youre soul has passed on from earlier lifes (whether hman or other) and wil pas on furhter after your death

1.: You don't know what happens after you die, and there is probably a purpose to life, so killing yourself must logically be a no-no

2.: What are the rules for reincarnation? Will you recieve punishment for ending one of your "lifes"? What would the punishment be? Returning as a "lower" lifeform like a cochroach? This would definitely be worth a shot...

Funny thing is we'd mostly agree suicide should be a human right...still it wouldn't be a right I would grant anyone...

15. The reality is that; one has the choice to do as one chooses. Regardless of what society or religion or whatever says. IMO, it is neither right or wrong, it is for the soul to decide.
    I personally feel that I paid full price for this "ride" (life, in this period of history) so I will stick around till the end to see how it all turns out.;) :smoke:

16. And in which ways does the soul signal which decision it has made?

And if it dictates, how could you choose yourself?

Sorry, but two contradictions in four sentences are too many. Try to decide:

Do you have free will and choice? Or does your soul decide? Or are you just an event in history?

17. by what it/you ultimately decide.

That is to assume you are seperate "entities"

Not sure what you mean by event in history.

Well, I feel the way things happen is exactly the way it was meant to be.
    Not all experiences need to be "pleasurable" or things that will bring us the most joy, will result in most spiritual growth, i.e., sometimes things that are considered "bad" sometimes result in "good" results, (if that makes any sense:rolleyes:

18. Good point. I often tend to see those seperate...but they definitely should intract. That means you take part in the decision.

But what you say by "I feel the way things happen is exactly the way it was meant to be" would point to fate.

By event in history I mean that when you're dead, the only thing that is left of you are the traces you left...nothing more, no reincarnation, no soul passing on to another place...

Btw...welcome to the city :wave:

19. I think that if one wants to commit suicide one is allowed and has the right too. You may hurt other peoples feelings by doing so.. but it is your decision in the end.

And yea.. we can always debate that if we do have a soul and it is to be reincarnated that you might reincarnated to a lower life form.. or a predetermined 'bad life'. Or was it fate that the person was suppose to commit suicide and has already served his or hers purpose of life?
    Or are we here to live out our lives because we have a purpose and then die from natual conditions or die at the hands of others (like a car crash, murder etc..)???

20. Well, doesn't it say in the constitution & charter of rights that everyone has the right to life? I assume that means that we have the choice of life or not. According to that, everyone *should* have the right to kill themselves.

I dont' think the question should be "should it be legal?", as much as it shoud be a topic about why people have wanted to commit suicide, and why they're still here. Personally, I've thought about suicide quite a few times. Being from a semi-traditional Chinese family, I'm pretty whitewashed. And more often than not, I don't get along with my parents. Sometimes, it feels like there's too much of a burden, and I want to get away from it all. But that was when i was younger. I didn't do anything stupid (luckily), and I'm still here.

Suicide's the easy way out. Anyone can quit, but it takes someone with real integrity to keep on living.

Oh yeah! And in Hong Kong, they have plexiglas between the subway & the platforms, because people kept jumping. It's great.