Suggestions on my first grow (PICS)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by freeze5959, Oct 30, 2007.

1. 6 plants (Bagweed) 5weeks old maybe lol
    Started with
    1 200watt 4700k CFL
    2 100watt 2700k CFLs
    Soil
    MG organic with
    MGO Blood meal
    MGO Bone meal mixed in the soil, this has slow relese nitrogen in it. Is this ok??
    Getting ready to re-pot these in 5 gal buckets any suggestions on soil and ferts or is the stuff Im using ok?

They now have
    2 400watt HPS cool tube lights (only one on now)
    6in Vortex fan cooling the lights and exhausting the room
    Mylar about 5ft up the wall

Just topped the 2 big plants and had to trim some of the leaves back when they were under the CFLs to get them closer.

Attached Files:

2. Setup looks nice.
    They seem pretty small for 5 weeks.
    They don't really need nutes until they are a little bit bigger.
    You need to transplant asap.
    Don't clip the leaves.
    Its better if your soil doesn't have any nutes in it, stay away from time realesed fertz.
    to Veg. you need a fert. that's high on N.

3. Great start freeze5959... i see in your setup you've done your homework and you're not fuckin' around! I think that's pretty rare to be honest. Nice setup.

I guess what i'm about to say isn't exactly going to help with the particular plants you are growing right now... coz all i've ever done with soil is fail, or almost fail, ending up with plants that are starving for the things they need at their roots (you know, air, water, enough space, and the right amount of the right elements, etc). If you want success and don't wanna fuck around... start designing a DWC system asap! In the mean time however, i think those plants are looking pretty good. Hopefully you have access to some really nice soil and all the rest of the stuff that goes with it and with a bit of luck they will stay healthy until they're done. Back in the day when i started (with soil) my plants just looked sicker and sicker as they got older and i couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong and what should i add and dahh am i over watering am i underwatering is it the heat are they cold... alll that. And looking back now, with a few years of hydro experience under my belt i realize that all the symptoms of my shit dirt plants, are the same symptoms shown by a dwc hydro plant which has FUCKED UP ROOTS. For example recently i fucked up and had to start from seed and managed to end up with a hermaphrodite in the same tub as a female. Upon removing the hermie i badly damaged the female's roots and man, there it was... a sick soil plant look alike. Spots on the leaves, droopy, crappy looking, you know, all the things you don't want your plant to look like... and i thought about it in comparision to my soil attempts, and realized just how bad of a condition the roots must have been in the soil to look that bad. And i didn't even know why back then! dahhh!

All i'm saying is that unless you're an expert with growing pot plants (not weed pot, like house, like you know... pot plants!) then i strongly suggest you don't fuck around, and just build yourself a dwc. Sacrifice one of your plants now.... wash the roots of soil and put it in a net pot with rocks in a tub of hydro solution and just try it like i did... thats my 2 cents

4. Thanks for the input Greg, I had orginaly planed on a E&B Flow system but thought I should probaly start out with something a little easier. I also needed the time to get the room set up proberly. I re-poted the plants today with Laby Bug brand soil for Roses (all Natural) mixed with about 40% peat moss for drainage. I also got some worm castings, bloodmeal and bonemeal mixed in the soil for ferts. Im going to post some more pics later tonight.

5. One thing I forgot to mention was during the transplate, I was examing the roots and noticed these BUGS!! They were white spinder/flea looking things, they were very small hard to see. Im going to look on the internet for a blown up pic to identify them and learn to kill them Bastards! Anyone got an idea what they are??? I have some organic bug spay but its for the leaves and I dont think it will kill bugs in the roots.

6. !!Fungus Gnats!! I had noticed some of these flying around early on but, I thought I killed them with the spay stuff. Seems they left there children to eat away at my roots, so next I need to get something to kill them. I read neam oil is good, any help killing these bastards would be awsome.

7. Yes, neem oil will do the job, apply every 2 or 3 days for about a week or 2 so that it kills all bugs and their larve.