Suggestions for kayak/roof rack for my car.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by carrythezer0, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I really loved kayaking when I would do it years ago, and for about a year now I've really been wanting to just buy one, so I figured it's time to do it. Any kayakers out there that can help me out in selection with a kayak/best places to shop, or if anyone knows of a good roof rack that I can mount the kayak on top of my car for easy transport? I'm not a crazy serious kayaker, but I did know all of the strokes and how to flip myself back up if I was flipped over, but beyond that I only have probably no more than 10 hours experience in a kayak, with probably 20+ more in rowboat/canoe experience haha. Regardless, I plan on taking regular kayak trips, probably, at the least, once a week. I also plan on buying a mountain bike (I really do love being outdoors), so I would prefer a roof rack that could fit both a kayak and a bike, but I could always settle with one that can do either/or. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'll be sure to make a thread with all of the sweet outdoors shots that I'll be taking on my trips.

2. I have an extra wide set of yakima bars, and a yakima locking bike mount. for kayaks/canoes u can get bar that goes vertical and helps u strap them down, i forget the name.

for sea kayaks u need some sort of foam cradle. but yea, yakima all the way. i love my locking bike rack

3. Oh, I see! Thanks man, that sounds perfect. Now that that is solved, I need to know where to start for kayak shopping. I'm fairly certain the style I want is a touring kayak, possibly one with extra storage for overnight kayaking. I would like to spend no more than 1000 on a kayak, vest, and rack.

4. Yakima is the way to go. Stackers work best for whitewater kayaks. Cradles work best for touring. Enjoy.

5. I hope you dont get a whitewater kayak to start, unless u have good boating mentors. its more dangerous.

always where your pfd or all real kayakers will laugh at you. sign up for a roll clinic in your area and learn to roll. stay safe good luck!