Sudden onsets of terrible sadness

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by VikingToker, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Hey GC

I'm a pretty happy guy

social life is fulfilling, center of attention and shit

getting stuff done

future looking decent

and yet I am sometimes struck with a sudden onset of crushing loneliness. I feel hopeless, depressed and isolated, and it sometimes pushes me to tears.

Anyone else get these sudden pangs of feelings of isolation?

2. This describes me almost perfectly. I'm a good looking guy, I can get chicks easily, have a ton of friends and am constantly the center of attention also, but I have a hard time motivating myself and fighting depression and anxiety. I also feel lonely and I don't have a girlfriend currently, even though I could easily lower my standards and get one. ( possibly the wrong attitude there..)

I think these emotions are attributed to not having a TRUE way to vent your feelings and frustrations, like having a true best friend. I know i don't have one I can trust. Not sure about you OP.

I also find weed to help these feelings, and just think to yourself about your future and live everything day by day, and be happy. You never know what is going to happen in life.

3. Shit, man. Looking into the cosmic mirror. Down to the girl standards and the missing true best friend.

Grow up with shitty parents, or moved around often?

4. [quote name='"69 others"']This describes me almost perfectly. I'm a good looking guy, I can get chicks easily, have a ton of friends and am constantly the center of attention also, but I have a hard time motivating myself and fighting depression and anxiety. I also feel lonely and I don't have a girlfriend currently, even though I could easily lower my standards and get one. ( possibly the wrong attitude there..)

I think these emotions are attributed to not having a TRUE way to vent your feelings and frustrations, like having a true best friend. I know i don't have one I can trust. Not sure about you OP.

I also find weed to help these feelings, and just think to yourself about your future and live everything day by day, and be happy. You never know what is going to happen in life.[/quote]

That is the exact position I'm in.

[quote name='"VikingToker"']

Shit, man. Looking into the cosmic mirror. Down to the girl standards and the missing true best friend.

Grow up with shitty parents, or moved around often?[/quote]

I too believe a major reason for my depression and anxiety is because I never had a father in my up bringing. I grew up hating him for what he did to my mother.

5. this is actually very much like myself
    i have a great load of friends, i make new friends easily and have no issues metting new people or talking to new people
    yet, with all my upside, i feel disconnected from the world, like things just dont quite work for me, ive constantly tried to "fit" into something, someplace, it may work for a bit, but in the long run it falls appart
    i usually crash - hard - during the spring and summer, its like everything that build up over the fall winter and early spring crashes upon me in one huge wave, and all i have left to literally 'feel' - is the blazing unforgiving sun, and the hard hot heat
    for me, i know one main reason, is that i have never felt truly satisfied with anything, i noticed this really took effect when my best friend moved when i was still a young kid, and i only got really close to one other person after that, never have i been closer or more connected to another living person, and at 18, she commited suicide
    i know the feeling brother, your not alone at all, im not sure how i can give you more advice since i barely know anything about you

maybe try getting a new hobby? pick up and instrument? or really hone down your attention on to one currently being played? take up a sport, or painting, photography, something that will allow you to focus your emotions, and use them to your advantage

6. You've got a life 90% of the human population would want, stop bitchin

7. [quote name='"Pickle McSmurf"']You've got a life 90% of the human population would want, stop bitchin[/quote]

He isn't saying he hates his life or anything of that sort so he is not bitching, he is simply posting on a forum his situation to see what other blades opinions are. :rollseyes:

8. Thats another good way of putting it man. It's a sense of disconnection, kinda like it's all a little surreal somehow. I have no sense of purpose, you know?

I have enough hobbies. :/ I'm not so sure that will help me so much.

9. So just because my life is decent means i cant be sad?

Im not really a depressed guy but just because you grow up in a first world country doesnt mean you cant feel sadness.

10. I had a shitty stepfather cliche thing going on. I think having a male figure for you to model yourself after is a pretty big thing. You don't get that, you're kinda on your own to figure shit out.

This is gonna sound kinda weird, but I recommend listening to a lot of the Joe Rogan podcasts. Listen to enough of them and you get a theme of behaviour, a way of looking at life and at yourself that's helped me out a lot.

11. Same here except I don't have friends (by choice because I don't trust people) dad was non existent growing up. Very intelligent and over analytical, drugs won't help it's only a band aid. Ended up in te hospital for panic disorder and anxiety attacks. No one I went to school with ever would have guessed. I highly suggest going to a counselor. Weed never helped in the long run just led to more and more smoking as I couldn't deal with y internal hate and other issues. Meds and counseling have helped more than anything, now I can smoke in moderation and for fun rather than feelin like I have to smoke to alleviate the anxiety and depression (mostly the depressing and suicidal thoughts that go along with them)

12. [quote name='"VikingToker"']

I had a shitty stepfather cliche thing going on. I think having a male figure for you to model yourself after is a pretty big thing. You don't get that, you're kinda on your own to figure shit out.

This is gonna sound kinda weird, but I recommend listening to a lot of the Joe Rogan podcasts. Listen to enough of them and you get a theme of behaviour, a way of looking at life and at yourself that's helped me out a lot.[/quote]

Yeah my dad left my mum with me and my brother and absolutely nothing else, I was oblivious to it all as a child but as I grew up I realized that my mum gave up her whole life for me and my bro and is now In a tonne of debt that I hope I can fix, plus I have never had a true friend I can trust and rely on. And thanks I will check him out. Weed has definitely helped me out with my life. The whole deep thought process you go through when your blazed is what I needed.

13. I don't think you're that different from the rest of us man. Society demands that we only value independence and productivity rather than nurture our emotional/spiritual sides. As a result we're a lost generation.

14. I'm just saying if you look at things in that perspective, suddenly things that made you sad before dont seem so bad anymore

15. Sounds like y'all are suffering from vitamin D deficiency. ;)

Go get some, try 50,000 iu/ day for three days, then cut back to 1000iu/25lbs of body weight.

Post back after a few days and let us know how it worked out.:D