Subs for Cheap?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by watusippin?, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Well I just bought myself a 05 4Runner and its the first car I have ever owned that has enough room for subs. Needless to say I want to have some subs in my car ASAP but have bled myself dry money wise. I would like to have two 12" int he back but would like to stay below $300 for everything.

Does anyone here have any opinions for me? Looking for some hard hitting one that can play some Nickatina "Killa Whale" the way it was meant to be played.

2. You get what you pay for, its gonna be nearly impossible to find 2 good 12's and an amp to power them and a box for under 300 new.

Could always go used and try craigslist, i've seen good deals there.

3. shit the system i have no is 2 12' hifonic atlases, the discontinued series. on the 2610bxi hifonics amp (2600wrms 5200watts peak.) with a decent size box. the subs them self i got for a good deal 300 for both the place originaly wanted 200 a sub. the amp was 450$ but it is top of the line and sounds AMAZING and so clean. and you def get what you pay for thats for sure when it comes to systems. unfortionatly my subs stopped working a week after i got my new amp. soo the next subs i go for are going to be DC subs. and them fuckers are expensive but top of the line. i wana go with either 2 15' lvl 4xls in the back of my 02 jimmy or one 18'lvl 5 and the prices for that is lookn at atleast 500 for the 2 15s and like 600 i think for the 18 im not sure

4. yeah it looks like after my further research that I will need to spend close to $500 for a whole set-up installed.

I am thinking about picking up a 1200W Hifonics Amp, some cheap Kicker subs to tie me over, a good $40 wiring kit and build my own ported box. The in a few months I can upgrade to some Alpine Type R's for $240.

I am pretty bummed out tho cause I was hoping I could get the whole package installed for $300.

5. Not meaning to be disrespectful here.

The Hifonics amp you're referring to has a true output of approx 1700 RMS @ 1Ohm via clamp meter. 5200 "peak" is a fictitious or phantom stat just to put big numbers on the box. Generally speaking, the overall quality of the amp is very low.

The subs are so so, you'd do much better getting Cerwin Vega V-Max subs and getting an SSL or AQ amp.

*EDIT*

And Crutchfield is highway robbery and they lack true competition car equipment.

Look at www.sonicelectronix.com if you know what you're looking for.

6. #7 gotdachronic, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009

the 1700 true rms may be true for the older model of the 2600bxi but i have the 2010 eddition.. it pumnps more then 1700 rms trust me. this amps pushes so much harder and so much cleaner then my MA audio hard kore series(competition amp) that pumps 1800 rms at .5 ohms. and as for the subs being so so? nahh there pretty damn good i keep up with 2 15 l7s easy and i got 2 12's. but yes there are much better subs out there. ive never been a CV fan and probly never will be. all i know is with them 2 12's on a 02 jimmy my back doors passanger were bassicaly clapping... my car looked like it was breathing. but its no longer alive :( just wait till i get my dc subs ill upload a video. but im kinda guessing you think i have the atlases that have the black dust cap. ive got the ones with the carbon fiber. the production on them was stopped prolly 3 years ago maybe 4. and boy did they take a beating for 2 years and yeah the 5200 tottal power is a bs rating to total power rating is not really important. so keep in mind when buying subs and a amp MATCH THE RMS OF BOTH SUB AND AMP. like my subs are 900rms a peice so with my 2610bxi i had them wired at 2 ohms receiveing i thin 1700 or 1750 watts. and that was louder then my competion ma amp that pumps out 1800rms at .5 ohms

7. Gotda:
    I've clamped that amp and at 1 Ohm with 12 volts I was unable to break 1800 watts. Assuming you're running at 12 volts, and from the comparisons you're making I'm also assuming you're running things at 2 or 4 Ohms as thats what L7's are.
    The CV subs are a class ahead of L7's or HiFonics.

Either way. OP, if I get time later today I'll help you piece a system together with equipment I would recommend.

Here's my personal setup:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/planes-trains-automobiles/459736-lets-see-your-system-2.html#post6255169

8. Well I found someone online who is willing to sell me his older Hifonics 1200W amp and two Alpine 12" Type R subs for $340. I am going to offer him $300 shipped as my final offer since the amp is a few years old.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying used subs? I was told they only have about 30 hours of play time and he is willing to provide photos and videos of the subs working.

Also, if I wanted to build my own ported box how much am I looking at for the supplies needed?

Annnnnd. What is a good amp kit that wont break the bank? I've been seeing them range from 20-170 for the 4 gauge but I dont know what to buy. I would like to stay below $40 but I have been told that the amp and amp kit are the two most important things to consider.