Subaru’s

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by jerry111165, Apr 7, 2019.

1. So almost a year ago I bought my first actual brand spankin new car - yeah; at 53 lol

I bought a 2018 CrossTrek - and man I still love this car as much as the day I drove off the lot.

I live in Maine and a 4 wheel/all wheel drive car is pretty important and especially as I drive 1 hour and 20 mins each way to work plus numerous jobsite visits - I drive a lot -

Anyone else really love their Subaru?

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. only had one subaru i liked, one of the old dual range models from the '80s modified for trail riding/hill climbs.

had two others, a '98 and '04, both legacy wagons, both totally unreliable junk.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Too bad! Maybe they weren’t maintained sufficiently? (Like - before you got them I mean, Doc)?

I love my ‘18 CrossTrek - Subaru pretty much redid them and did a complete overhaul for the 2018 and on models.

My wife had a 2000 Legacy Wagon that had been completely undercoated with the Rhino Liner material - we had it for around 5 years and that darn car didn’t have a speck of rust on it and would always always start - even in the worst weather, always ran smooth blah blah blah - I’m honestly
    surprised to hear you say that and wonder if you maybe somehow just got (2?) flukes - too bad man.
    I just always hear positive stuff from other Maine folks - they’re pretty popular up here.

This is the 2018 - it’s the “mid grade” with the sunroof model - which I use ALL the time...

9DAACF3A-F267-4DD6-AE37-CC6689BA179E.jpeg 8F83AC8A-15EF-4595-BDEF-E1CD65B49126.jpeg

I’d really love to hear from more of you folks - TIA.

J

• Like Like x 3
  4. they both came from norms on rte1 in wiscasset, both had fresh timing belts/head gaskets when they came home. i really couldn't say what happened with them. the '04 is still on the road but only barely, it probably leaks 2qts of oil between oil changes. i also absolutely hate the automatic transmissions subaru used in those two generations i've owned, they never know what gear they wanna be in.

edit - oh yeah, my neighbor wrecked your car's twin this winter, don't know how it could've happened other than he was just going too fast. i've driven a crosstrek, at least those CVT transmissions can't get mixed up between gears lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I’d have to gas a combination of ice and speed mebbe - But I’d also rather not presume LOL

Too bad those didn’t work out for you man. I honestly think that they’ve come a really long way and have made some very positive changes. I don’t hear very many people talking negatively about them so I hope that I am right and you’re wrong at least about the newer models like I have right now LOL

I’ll report back in yearly increments anyhow :)

J

• Like Like x 1
  6. Heya @docleary

Believe it or not I actually used this a couple times this afternoon - have you seen it? I think it’s pretty new for Subaru but I don’t know exactly how new ...

So you need to be going 15 mph or less but I can be going down a steep grade of crappy snow and ice and if I push the “X-Mode” button The computer will take over and it will now probably a lot better than I could which specific break to pump, when do I give it gas or downshift or whatever the hell it does but I’ll tell you man it’s basically damn near impossible to be sliding or slipping down a hill with X mode engaged they tell you to basically hit the button, take your foot/hoof/paw off of the gas/brake, trust in whatever higher power you subscribe to and steer...lol

I’ve only used it a couple times - 15+ mph it won’t engage but I’ll tell you whut - I like knowing that it’s there. It can help get out of a sticky situation. There’s actually some really cool YouTube videos out there if you ever get any free time take a look at Subaru X mode.

Man - I bet ur neighbor wasn’t too damn happy - wtf... l

J

7. to hell with that lol i guess i don't trust machines enough yet.

my neighbor was thrilled, it happened about a month before his new tesla was ready for delivery, we joke that it was jewish lightning. he missed a telephone pole by less than a foot, down into the ditch and then came to rest on top of a stone wall.

8. I went in for a service and was given a 2019 CrossTrek loaner.

This one had a similar technology - when in cruise control if you come up too close behind someone the car will sense it and automatically brake for you!

I was in the right lane and to test out another feature I allowed myself to drift towards the far right breakdown lane line...

As I started to cross the line, the car very gently pulled me back to the left... lol

As soon as you brake it disengages the safety features I described.

I thought it was pretty darn slick.

J

9. to be honest i don't like the way technology is advancing so quickly in that direction.

as a driving enthusiast, i'm scared the day will come that self-driving cars will be mandatory.

• Like Like x 2
  10. My first car was a subaru svx that I had for years. designed in italy by giugiaro with japanese engineering. this is the only production car I know of that was actually the same as the concept car.
    [​IMG]
    that car was so unique and so fun, I loved it despite it's minor design flaws.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. What was the model? Very cool. I don’t recognize that flare above the rear wheel well?

J

• Like Like x 1
  12. the model is SVX (Subaru Vehicle X), only one generation. i renovated a house in bath for a woman who owned one.

four speed automatic only as at the time subaru didn't manufacture a manual capable of handling the "power" of the 3.3L lol, FWD only variant available for one or two years. basically a six cylinder ej22, bringing displacement up to 3.3L.

edit - oh yeah, and the designer of the side windows must've been pretty high on the autism spectrum.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Hey thanks Doc

J

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 thezephyr, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    technically, it's the second generation of the subaru alcyone coupe. that flat 6 is an amazing engine, very overengineered with a non interference design like an aircraft engine. they under-rated the horsepower figures from the factory to comply with japanese market regulations, some svx's had well over 300 hp from the factory. the engine is absolutely bulletproof, but hard to find a skilled mechanic. The low end torque made it surprising quick off the line at city speeds, and because it has a linear torque curve, it pulls hard at any point in the rpm range. The acceleration from 40-90 was insane.
    It's a total concept car, built for a record setting low coefficient of drag, and amazing high speed stability and endurance at the expense of everything else. I took mine over 160 mph in the California desert and it was steady as a rock. The sensation of driving without the rolling resistance of aerodynamic drag is a totally different experience than other performance cars.
    The major design flaws were weight (over 4000 pounds, just like a 60's chrysler), weight distribution, totally inadequate ABS and disc brakes from a 92 impreza. The engineering for the proposed 4 wheel steering was never completed, so the awd differential and electronic torque vectoring systems are fundamentally flawed. between the weight, poor weight distribution, and running out of money for the active steering and active torque split systems, the awd system is a total compromise. it can only send a maximum of %25 power to the rear wheels in moments when slip is detected. this works great in ideal circumstances, but terribly in an evasive maneuver or panic stop. So not a great car for traditional subaru handling and performance, but perfect for highway cruising and straight line speed.
    I never had any trouble with the automatic transmission, but I had my transmission control unit tuned. it was easy to control up and down shifts with careful throttle control. @docleary don't knock the crazy windows until you've driven one, there's no wind noise whatsoever and no matter what the weather conditions, you'll never feel any instability from a strong crosswind. you can drive with the windows down without getting buffeted by the difference in air pressure while driving at highway speeds. You can even drive in the rain with the windows down without getting wet. trust me, it's highly entertaining. plus, people mistake it for a lamborghini diablo which is fun.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. I totally agree with this, even the traction control and active torque split on the svx was way too much interference.

• Like Like x 1
  16. We had one once and it was crap. The distributor cap kept crapping out resulting in damage to the catalytic converter. Something like that.

It was good in the snow though.

17. now I have a Saab 9-2x, but I promise I'm not derailing the thread, because it's actually a Subaru WRX with european styling and tuning. It has the classic 50/50 all mechanical 4 wheel drive with a unique posi traction rear end and the steering rack from the WRX STI. I slightly prefer the styling of the saab, only the doors and rear quarter panels are shared with the WRX. With the exception of ABS, this car is all mechanical with no traction control or other electronic assistance. The handling is amazing. This quick accurate steering rack has totally spoiled me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. We were Jeep people for 20 years - many models but haven’t been happy over the last 4-5 years and switched to Subaru.

So far at least - I’m really liking what I have.

My wife’s older one *did* leak some oil tho...

I’m hoping that’s not the case with my new one.

J

• Like Like x 2
  19. Please - no worries whatsoever.

J

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ours was older and probably a lemon. We know another that still has the exact same as we did and it’s without problems. Glad yours is working out. We’ve switched to Nissan and Toyota. So far so good touch wood.