stupid(?) idea about carbon scrubber...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by boro, Nov 9, 2006.

1. I have an old filter from a turtle/fish tank. it's a bit bigger than a 2 liter pop bottle... assuming I could fill it back up with fresh carbon, would it work for air? or is it strictly a water thing...

I dont know why the idea is coming to mind, I just remembered I had the thing downstairs with no use for it...

2. If somehow you can hook a fan up to it and the air goes through it pretty easy it might work. Hook it up and see. Sounds like an good test to me. Is there hard plastic on it anywhere? Does it have that kind of fabric like outer material? Take a picture and let me see what it looks like if you are able.

3. [​IMG]

something like that. it would be placed inside the box with one of the inlets open, then a fan on the outside of the box would be plumbed in... as a draw-through setup.

ie. [stinky air]-->-->--[FILTER]-->--->--[FAN]-->--->--[outside box]

4. Nah, that won't work. The tubes are too small. Air would have to be travelling through that thing at hundreds of miles an hour. You'd be better just getting some activated carbon, and putting into a canister of some sort.

Anyways, most aquarium filters will explode if you run them dry.

Carbon filters are easy enough to build.
    There's a thread in this forum all about it.

-mu

5. I wouldnt be running the pump inside, just using it as a canister.. but I guess I'll build my own instead.

to hell with this junk! thanks for the advice.