Study- Heavy Metals in E-cigs/ Vape Pens

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by Storm Crow, Oct 28, 2021.

1. I was watching TV late last night and this slickly-made commercial against vaping came on warning against heavy metals in vape pens/ ecigs. And then today, I saw this study that puts the danger mainly on the ones with nicotine. Out of the 50 sample vapes, only 5 were contaminated with heavy metals - 4 of the 5 were nicotine vapes, and the cannabinoid vape had only copper as a contaminant. I bolded the sentence about cannabis vape pens. Link leads to the full study which was funded by the US government.

Analysis of Toxic Metals in Aerosols from Devices Associated with
    Electronic Cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use Associated Lung Injury

Analysis of Toxic Metals in Aerosols from Devices Associated with Electronic Cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use Associated Lung Injury

Research gaps exist in toxic metals characterization in e-cigarette, or vaping, products (EVPs) as these analytes typically have low concentrations and most standard aerosol trapping techniques have high metals background. An additional complication arises from differences in the EVP liquid formulations with nicotine products having polar properties and non-nicotine products often being non-polar. Differences in polar and non-polar matrices and the subsequent aerosol chemistries from various EVPs required modifications of our previously reported nicotine-based EVP aerosol method. Validation and application of the expanded method, suitable for both hydrophobic and hydrophilic aerosols, are reported here. The metals analyzed for this study were Al, Cr, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Cd, Sn, Ba, and Pb. The method limits of detection for the modified method ranged from 0.120 ng/10 puffs for Cd to 29.3 ng/10 puffs for Al and were higher than reported for the previous method. Results of the analyses for metals in aerosols obtained from 50 EVP products are reported. Cannabinoid based EVP aerosols were below reportable levels, except for one sample with 16.08 ng/10 puffs for Cu. Nicotine-based EVP results ranged from 6.72 ng/10 puffs for Pb to 203 ng/10 puffs for Sn. Results of the analyses for these metals showed that aerosols from only 5 of the 50 devices tested had detectable metal concentrations. Concentrations of toxic elements in the aerosols for nicotine-based EVP aerosol metal concentration ranges were consistent with previously published results of aerosol analyses from this class of devices.

:wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. smokings bad for ya, vaping is bad for ya, what the fuck am I supposed to do just edibles??

Well, good thing I'm a 100% edible only user, which as far as I know has no health drawbacks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Edibles are unpredictable and don't actually work or do anything for a lot of people.

4. Edibles are great but many of us don’t get high from them.

5. You’ve never had a properly made hash capsule then…;)