Stronglift 5x5

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Felix vom Hof, Jul 7, 2012.

1. People do not understand that in order for your body to fully recover, you need to take off as much time as you put in and when we begin speaking on intensity workouts, at no point should a beginner be apart of that conversation. Please do not start out lifting at 5x5, you are probably going to hurt yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I started out on 5x5 at 15. I don't think he'll hurt himself if he doesn't overload himself on weight, but I agree that 5x5 is not the best noob program, there's too much volume. 5x5 squats gets really hard really fast.

3. Yes I've heard of it... whoever invented it a moron, sorry. Try a proven strength training program like I have shown above compared to this crap and you wont go back. Doing 1x5 deadlift 3 times a week will get you nowhere. People make these things up because they have to do something for money. It also states this as a bodybuilding program... wtf? btw.... Bodybuilding is 8+ reps for muscle mass. 3-7 reps heavy is for strength.

Do squats one day, next day rest completely, then do a bench day, next day is a rest day, then do heavy deadlifts and rest 2 days. 5x5 is very taxing on the central nervous system so more than one of these compound movements per day is simply too much. Always do warm up sets and take it seriously or you will get injured going straight to 5x5 reps heavy. Form is key, don't go heavy at all till this is learned.

Don't take my word for it, do some research and/or try both for a few cycles.

4. Proven strength programs like...Starting Strength?? Which this basically is.

It is a great program, sorry you disagree.

5. Proven powerlifting programs, except westide. I wouldn't recommend doing 1 rep maxes too much unless you're competing (westside). Mark Rippetoe's program is sub par as well I feel, he is also doing more than one major compound in one day = not optimal, you're not getting the most from it, he is doing 3x5 though so the fatigue is less than stronglifts or whatever this is.

This routine talked about here is garbage with deads at 1x5... and I defy anyone to prove me wrong after trying what I have posted compared to this garbage side by side for even 3 months and prove it. Yes... eating calories and lifting weights period will get you stronger. However, I'll repeat this once again, you shouldn't be doing more than one major compound movement in the same day, furthermore, leave at least 3-4 days between squats and deadlifts in your routine. Do chest in between. Use periodization every month or two.

Not hating, just trying to inform. I'm not selling my training routine or have any websites scrambling to come up with routines to sell or make money off ads.

6. came to the same conclusion after doing 3x5 starting strength,

after a few years settled on doing only one compound lift on any given training day. i like it because it doesn't destroy me the way doing multiple compound lifts on a single day would, it's easier to recover and i can put all my focus into a single lift. it's much simpler

7. #27 sgt baker, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Cool pete, I agree. It's anecdotal for me which is why I encourage anyone to try this routine it will get you stronger, but then try single major compounds per session and let us know how it goes here. Although I do know, the second major compound movement will be sub-optimal as you're already taxed from the first. If you're truly lifting 5x5 heavy compounds... you'll know exactly what I am talking about.

I like this simple one:

Day 1: Back/Bicep - Deadlifts + rows or pullups, curls
    Day 2: rest
    Day 3: Chest/Tri alternate close-grip/wide grip + weighted dips
    Day 4: rest
    Day 5: Squats
    Day 6: rest
    Day 7: Shoulders/Abs
    Day 8: rest

8. There's nothing wrong with Stronglifts at all. I prefer Starting Strength but they are both "proven" programs, to use your word. There's no reason you can't do multiple compound lifts on the same day. That's why you get rest days in between your workout days. 1x5 deadlifts 3 times a week is fine since you're also doing lots of squats.

I think 5x5 is too much volume for a beginner, but that's just my opinion, plenty of people have been successful with it. But it's not a bodybuilding program, and it doesn't claim to be. If you read about it, it makes it very clear on it's website that it isn't a bodybuilding program. It's a novice program that encourages focus on form and starting out with light weight. Multiple compound lifts on the same day isn't an issue when you're only on the program until you're squatting 1.5x your bodyweight. Once it gets really heavy you're supposed to switch to something else anyways.

9. #29 sgt baker, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    I'm sorry but this is where we have to disagree. There def is a problem with more than one major compound lift in one day at 5x5 heavy reps, it's over training during the session, especially for beginners, the rest day after is irrelevant. That's basically saying it's ok to over train as long as you get the next day off to rest. The adding weight every time thing is BS too, you will plateau in short order unless you're on heavy anabolics like the guys in the videos. Yes lifting weights is proven to get you stronger period, doesn't mean you don't want to make it optimal. "Proven" was the wrong word, I apologize.

from the website:

"Unlike most bodybuilding routines, your goal on StrongLifts 5×5 isn’t to reach failure, get “pumped” or be sore. Your goal is to add weight."

Was that worded bad or is it me? That kind of implies it's designed as a bodybuilding program, but not like most the others.

10. By the way not sure if the artical gives credit, don't care to check, but this stronglift 5x5 is based off Reg Parks' program from the 50's. Reg Park's 5x5 Program | T Nation

F*ck spending 2-3 hours doing compound lifts in the gym on top of what I stated previously. Obviously, it works... better if you're on testosterone or under 20yrs old.

11. I think the 5x5 program is great for starting off and building strength. U can raise the weight 5 lbs or so each week or every other week and see consistent results mainly in strength. After 2 or 3 months you will need to switch up your rep schemes a bit tho if u want to avoid the dreaded plateau

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Actually it takes like 45 minutes max to do the whole workout. If you're in a hurry you can do it in under half an hour.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #33 sgt baker, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    You should be resting 3-5 minutes between heavy sets. How is that possible? I rest at least 5 minutes between each set. Going 50% of your max is not heavy and is not good enough for 5x5.

Either way, it's from the 50's. The main point is what I previously stated, doing more than one compound movement in one session (5x5 heavy) = too much.

In the end, you will do as you please and have every right to, I guess it's better than nothing. To me, it's over training and doing 1x5 heavy deadlifts??? come on.