Stronglift 5x5

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Felix vom Hof, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Has anyone heard of or do this program?

2. isnt this just doing compound lifts like bench, squat, clean, ect for 5x5?

if so this is what i did last winter and i definitely got stronger from it

3. Yeah pretty much, its squats every day and bench/barbell row and overhead press/dead lifts every other day adding 5 lbs each time. I started it over a month ago and just wondered if anyone actually did it too :smoke:

Edit: its every other day and the other things change every other workout

4. I actually got better gains with Wendler's 5/3/1 method, but 5x5 is pretty good

5. ^ what do you do for that?

6. Squats every day?

Shit.

7. Every other day adding 5 to 10 pounds each time. I've gone from squating just the bar to squating 145 in one month.

8. ^Your gains will continue to skyrocket for compound lifts when your just starting, in another couple months youll be pushing nearly 2 plates.

I have heard of stronglifts 5x5 but i have never done it. I followed SS for a time and stronglifts is very similar except with a couple more sets 3x5 vs 5x5

9. Its a good program. If you do it you'll definitely get a lot stronger, and replace some fat with muscle if your eating well.

10. How many reps in each set? 5?

11. Yes, it is five sets of five reps.

Just do what it says on the website for it, it is really easy to follow.

Edit - Shit I'm going to go read it again to motivate my lazy ass back into the gym.

12. resurrecting an old thread.

Im giving this a go now.
    The summer is just crazy busy for me so i cant say Im always hitting the gym the same number of times or the same days each week, so a body part per day split wont really work for me.
    Im thinking maybe mix the exercises up a bit on the weeks I can make 3 or 4 times just to avoid boredom - nothing too drastic just some days that barbell row might turn into a t-bar row depending which has less people in my way.

Day 1 yesterday- squat 60kg, dumbell row 28kg (per arm), bench 50kg - starting off pretty low to ease myself in to it, not made it to the gym at all in like 3 weeks, and I normally have a tendency of hitting it too hard when i come back and needing a week to recover.

13. I prefer the 3x5 method, 5x5 just gets way too hard once the weight gets up there. My thinking is it's probably better to do less volume and get better technique and heavier weight going.

14. Awww don't be a pussy they say when you do 5x5 keep the same weight even if you don't get 5 reps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. 5x5 is the shit. It will crush you if you don't properly fuel though.

Heavy squats 3x a week is no joke.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 5x5 is definitely the best routine for young guys getting into lifting, once you can comfortably squat 225-250 for reps you'll have to switch programs as you won't be able to keep gaining 5-10lb per workout, but work it until you stop gaining then switch it to an intermediate level plan (which isn't necessarily going to be "harder" just different)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. I think Im going to pussy off from this program for a bit.
    Theres been a few weeks Iv not been able to make it to the gym at all, Iv been working off if I miss a few sesions I either leave the weights where they were or take them back a session depending how long Iv been gone, so Iv not advanced the numbers as much as you'd expect over the month- but already my quads just cant recover at a quick enough pace to keep up and Id say the back isnt much behind.

Its been worth while as an experience- previously with squating because Iv had knee problems in the past I never went below parallel, sometimes not even quite there, by having so much time focusing on them for this program Iv really worked on the form and started with the weight stripped back was more confident to see how deep i could go- Im now getting my arse down to the floor for the first time ever and doing it with 85kg on the bar (my bodyweight give or take).
    Last time I was in the gym I did 5x5 on the T-Bar row with what had a month ago been my 1 rep personal best.

I think it may be something I come back to every so often when I want to mix it up for a month or so

18. in another couple months youll be pushing nearly 2 plates.

19. #19 sgt baker, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Strength training cycles... I wouldn't squat more than once a week heavy sets of 5x5 or 3x5.... I recommend 5x5, you should be doing compound lifts 3x a week tops, deads/squats/bench each movement on separate days, doing heavy 5x5 sets of more than one compound movement in one session is crazy. DL's hits the nervous system the hardest, and requires few days of rest. You need rest days after lifting heavy low rep sets, even if you're juicing. Don't concentrate on adding weight all the time, the weight will come, take long rests 3-5 minutes at least between sets, use a belt. If you can do 8 or so reps on the 5th set, add weight next time. Every few months switch it up to higher reps for a few weeks.

Worth adding, you should be warming up before you get to the heavy sets of 5x5. Couple warm up sets with 10 reps, lighter weight. Don't just go straight into heavy ass sets or you risk injury.

Edit: I do shoulders on squat days w/ barbell overhead presses... that is also a compound lift technically... so that's the only day with 2 compound movements. DL's with rows and biceps. Bench with tri's.

20. This is a Stronglift thread, its protocol is squatting 3x a week. Feel free to check it out.

StrongLifts 5x5: The Simplest Workout To Get Stronger

• Like Like x 1