Stressful grow in the 3rd world... time to harvest? *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by train951, Apr 28, 2013.

1. #1 train951, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
    Here are some pics from last night, do they look ready to harvest in a week?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi, this is my first grow and unfortunately due to lack of resources/technicalities of where I am in the world, my plants have undergone some stress.

Supposedly "white widow" bagseed.
    Started out with 7 seeds, 2 of which ended up being male, and were tossed.

Started with 24 hour CFL veg for 8 weeks with NPK 20/20/20 once a week (all that can be found here)

followed by 12/12 CFL flowering (only nutrients: NPK 20/20/20 once/week), currently on day 1 of week 12 in flowering.

week 11 I switched to 11/13 (longer dark)
    just turned the dial to 10/14 for (what I'm hoping to be) the final week.

Grow is indoor and with soil. Watering 3-4 times a week. Stopped feeding nutrients last week.

I can't find a 40x lens here to check the trichomes.

I need expert advice, here are some pics, and sorry for the quality..
    Do they look ready to harvest in a week?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I'm forgetting any details let me know, thank u!

2. #2 BrassNwood, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  3. #4 BrassNwood, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
    I'm currently harvesting a small outside spring grow and I'd have taken them weeks ago on looks alone.. But they stubbornly stayed clear for nearly 3 more weeks.. they are just in the last day gone all cloudy and party amber and I'll start to harvest this AM.. this is by far the toughest time to wait out but the most critical.. taking them to early will waste all your weeks of hard work.. you want the best bang you can get.. an extra week at this point can mean the difference between so so weed and HOLY SHIT I've fallen and I can't get up... you absolutely have to see what's going on micro scale..

4. I'm going to hunt for a jeweler, hopefully I can borrow a lens with some collateral

5. found a "triplet 10x" loupe
    but it seems difficult to tell if the trichomes are clear or cloudy?
    i read online that 10x is fine, but i'm assuming i need higher magnification?

6. My little microscope is 60x to 100x.. around 50x is ideal.. But work with what you can get.. You might try using the loupe over a cell phone camera and then blowing up the pic in a photo editor .. might let you get a better look.. take a snip of several tiny sugar leafs from all over.. look at the underside for best viewing.. you may find you need to harvest her top down over a few days depending on how she ripens.. You want to get an overall feel on how she's progressing.. try looking along the edge of a leaf.. it can be hard to tell a cloudy top looking down from overhead.. very few clear.. mostly cloudy with 20% or better in amber color is the way I personally like it .. the more amber it is the higher the couch lock effect..

7. A couple of those colas r looking pretty close to me. I don't do this myself but u could just partial harvest individual buds or branches. I have wasted so much time waiting for amber and never seeing much ever then after its dried and cured I have it. I am not trying to say yours r ready either it just seems horje or something gets started on the web about growing cannabis it just won't die just my opinion.
    U want the pistols to die back and your calyxs to swell. Amber trichomes IS thc degrading.
    Have u cut the nutes off and just been using pure water?
    Just my thoughts but I think the whole amber trich thing would be more relevant to an outdoor grow.
    Is that a huge nanner in pic 4?

8. Yeah I'd say you're pretty close but you can't judge it by that, I agree with them ^^^ make sure those trichs get time to amber otherwise you just shitted on your entire grow...all that hard work and effort reduced due to impatience isn't worth it. NICE BUDS BRO!

9. I had a cut worm chop a major cola last year about a week before I actually took the plant.. it showed mostly cloudy with some clear and zero amber.. It was good smoke but only about 1/2 as potent as it was a week later when 20% showed amber.. just my 2 cents..

10. yeah, i selectively pollinated a couple colas because i wanted seeds.

11. If you don't have at least 10% amber it simply isn't done yet.. at that point you'll still have 10/15 % clear if not more.. and that's just not done enough. well not for me it isn't.. I want more bang for my effort:smoking:

12. here's an update, pics from 2 days ago
    i tried taking pictures of the trichomes with my phone and a 10x lense..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

u guys think 1 more week is good?

13. You have to get a closer look..
    Illuminated Microscope : Microscopes | RadioShack.com
    just get one.. it's the best 12 bucks you'll ever spend.. a MUST HAVE..
    they look stunning but.. looks isn't everything.. your this close.. to late is way better then to early.. you have time.. even at that mag you have no areas of amber yet..

14. You've got male nanners coming out half the buds. You're trichs are mostly all cloudy and I did see a few amber. You're a month past the suggested flower time but u better let you're thc degrade into cbd or it will be no good even though you're trichs will amber during the dry & cure. Make sense no it does not.

I wish I could find one of those where I'm at. Closest radio shack is thousands of miles away.

The leaves on the 2 colas I pollinated for seeds are yellowing. I havent given them any nutrients in about a month now..
    I'm going to check the trichs again soon and will update..

half the buds, really? I only pollinated 2 colas..

I'm patiently waiting on the thc degradation, not much I can do. No nutrients in about a month..

17. If nothing else do a fast dry of a small bud and see if your happy with the high.. it won't have much taste but that's not our concern right now.. hot spot from the ballast on top of a shop light is what I use.. about 24 hours it's smokeable .. I'm sure you can figure something..
    In the old days I'd have pulled her already on looks alone..
    Have you got the red laser pointers available ? there is a trick with the lens from one of them and your cell phone that winds up about 50x..
    http://sallaha.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/diy-mobile-phone-microscope-using-a-lens-from-a-laser-pointer/

a lens from an old CD drive will work too it looks like..

18. nanners are the light green things coming out of your buds, called nanners becuse they look like a half of a banana sticking out.  this means your plants have hermies (grew penises) and are jizzing all over themselves. they look fresh so pluck them off to avoid further seeding. when they start to dry they will spill pollen. this late in the game shouldnt be a huge problem, you clearly dont know what they are so im hoping they havnt been doing it the whole time for ya,  either way if ya cant find them now, google it and locate/learn what they look like for future grows :)

19. found a 40x LED loupe today! checked the trichs.. I'd say they're at about 15% amber.
    Just pulled the plug on the lights, total darkness for 3 days, then harvest..