Strengthen wispy stem on young plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Azureblue, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hellow Fellow Blades :cool:

I started a grow recently with some royalty, Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze Feminized.

5 seeds for roughly $80 to my door :eek:

Soil, CFL.

I planted two, got them to pop, and they are roughly 10 days old.

The first plant, "Beefy," has come in strong and healthy, continuing to show new growth each day. The second plant, "Wimpy," continues to struggle.

Wimpy "stretched," unlike Beefy, because I didn't realize Wimpy had popped through the soil until about a day and a half afterwards. She was desperately ascending in hopes of finding a light source.

The stretching left "Wimpy" with a wispy, white, teenie little stem when compared to the more beefy, dark colored stem of the first plant.

Observe:

Wimpy
    [​IMG]

Beefy (look closely for dark colored stem)
    [​IMG]

"Wimpy" has been very slow to grow, and she leaned all the way to the ground a few times when I watered. I have since propped wimpy up by tying her to a toothpick. She is supported but her stem does not "beef" up, and her growth is quite stunted compared to Beefy.

From my limited past growing experience I understand having a fan in the vicinity will help strength the stem. I have had a fan going on them since the beginning, to no avail.

Time is not taking care of this problem as I had hoped.

Any ideas, recommendations, thoughts?

THANK YOU for any input you can provide, fellow gracious blades :cool:

2. I would add more soil and bury a good part of the stem. The plant should recover as long as it gets decent light and moisture. Gradually the part of Wimpy's stem that has been buried will begin to grow roots. :)

3. CFLs are to far. Usually the biggest reason for a plant to stretch is to "reach" for the light. A CFL needs to be 2-4 inches away from the plant any further plant likes to stretch. Bury some of the stem get the light closer and you should get better over the next week or so.

4. Good advice! I will do so!

Why didn't I think of that? :eek:

Yes - the stretching occured before I had it under lights. The poor girl went about a day and half in total blackness :(

I had just checked on it the day before and it hadn't broke soil yet, so I didn't expect much. Came back about a day and a half later and it was tapping the top of the cellophane I had over the cup :eek:

She's now under CFL, about 2 inches away.

Thanks again for the advice fellow Blades :smoke:

:gc_rocks:

5. Put a fan on it an put your lights closer! The plant will have to fight against the wind to reach towards the lights, making the stem nice and strong