Strain Selection for the new york outdoors

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by joeshmoe, Feb 8, 2010.

1. I'm really having a lot of difficulty selecting a strain suited for the New York chills. My frost dates are April 16 and Sept 15 (36oF), Mar 29 and Oct 09 (32oF). I have been hearing a lot of mixed things about growing in the area like late harvests = mold. I currently have some freebies left over Kandy Kushx Skunk#1, rocklock, La woman, and Lemon skunk. I'm curious whether or not i can use these strains if i tarp them for 2 hours before sunset for 2 weeks to get the plant flowering, then let nature do its thing. Will I increase my chances of mold if i tarp this early?

If i need to purchase a strain do i need to pick an autoflowering strain do to my locaation or can i go with Holland's hope, or new purple power? I really appretiate the help as I'm really confused from reading mixed messages, one thing i dont want is mold or early harvest.

2. if you dry it right it wont mold when can you start growing outdoors here in nyc

3. Well as stated earlier i could plant by Early April my main concern is which strain could complete early enough as to avoid the winter frosts. I may be making a bigger deal about strain selection, but I'm trying to get the right strain for the conditions. Do you think any quick indica would do in my area or do i need to go for a strain like Holands hope, Endless sky, Himalaya gold, New purple power?

4. try lookin at some norther lights strains early flowering and strong mold resistance

5. barney farms LSD

6. I've grown BF LSD and it probably wont make the winter frost.I've posted my frost dates, on must take into consideration the latitude I'm located at, the of days of 17-18 hours of light are late in the season and the number of days of 12-13 hours of light are few and very late in the season, hence the cold frost being a problem.

I believe Rocklock finishes at around the same time of LSD correct me if im mistaken thanks for the helpful replies.

Maybe something like aurora indica, Mighty Might, NL#5, Himalayan Gold, Early Skunk etc? Has anyone grown these up north(or in cold climate)?

7. ive been doing alot of researching for an outdoor high altitude grow in the northeast, i have come to the conclusion that i will need an auto flowering strain to avoid any possible problems with the cold, and mold. Early wonder skunk should harvest in august, and yield up to 8 ounces.

8. HMM I live in northern maine and every thing finished first frost was like last part sept.it was so light no problems one plant i picked was coverd in frost 10 oct, and no mold .One strain had alot of stativa in it to.

9. Hey Jokaankit,
    I'm an experienced outdoor grower from upstate NY who lives in NYC for many years. You didn't mention what type of outdoor grow- an out of the way corner, terrace, rooftop, or deep woods outside the city?
    I didn't read everything that people said in response to your topic, but I can make it simple for you,
    You need hearty, homogeneous strains that DON'T mold, and finish by SEPT.30, Oct. 7. I've found that most strains advertised as "indoor-outdoor" are not really outdoor plants. Now if your growing on a terrace or in pots in your backyard, that's one thing. But if you are really serious about some guerilla growing in rough and remote terrain, you got to go with the proven outdoor winners.
    This is a huge subject, and nobody knows all the strains and how they perform. Except this guy- http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-marijuana-growing/682284-outdoor-strain-guide-6.html
    I've read this back to back and this cat Clodhopper has the most concise account backed up by years of real work and experience. I mean, I would have paid this guy 500. bucks to save me years of screwing around with poor performers. Believe me, the ideal conditions of the growroom are a world away from real outdoor growing!
    Read this blog for what Clodhopper has to say, he is the shizzle macdizzle.

10. your gunna grow in the snow???

11. No, but I'm getting ready for next season. You want to put them out mid-late may, I usually start Feb- march indoors, then move em out before they get too big. The last few years, the real problem is rain. They can't take if it rains every day for a month, and this year sucked, cause it rained all thru aug- sept when they're flowering. Can't do anything about that. Describe the "where".

12. I also grow outdoors in New York, and I have a few tried and tested suggestions for you as amazing outdoor strains in our climate.

-Female Seeds Easy Sativa. It is a very fast flowering sativa strain, has very vigorous vegetative growth that come September will land you with 8 foot tall Christmas trees with branches of frosty bud. It finishes at 38*N on September 20th, but you can harvest as early as September 5th and get a substantial harvest. The nuggets are a little fluffy, but yields are very high.

-Female Seeds Purple Maroc. It is a very early flowering, and extremely vigorous Indica. The finished product is a connoisseur quality purple bud, frosted in resin, an excellent hash making strain. It's potency is out of this world, an awesome indica body high! It will begin flowering at the end of July, and be ready for a hefty harvest of purps Come September 15-20, though it too can harvest earlier.
    Both strains have excellent growth patterns, good resistance to mold, and a fine finished product!
    Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but I just love Femaleseeds.nl genetics:metal:

13. Sweet! I think there should be a separate thread for northeast geurilla growing.

14. Yeah, that would be great. Its spelled "guerilla", let's try to use our spellcheck, boys!
    Serg, not interested in fem seeds, and good luck with your line, but as I said before- Most seeds that are listed as indoor- outdoor are described that way for MARKETING purposes. Check out the aforementioned link to find out about the real outdoor winners.

15. How deep do you usually put the seeds or plants into the ground.

16. I start the plants (clone or seed) in plastic cups w/holes in the bottom, under florescent lights. I transplant to 6" square pots at about 5 inches high, using a quality potting soil mixed w a little perlite. Before putting them outside, I harden them up, as they say, by giving them a good feeding of mineral based grow (fox farm etc.) nutrient, and use a 400 w mh lamp for the last few weeks. The idea is to have some tough little girls who are just waiting for a new home to spread their roots. Then I make a nice home for them, by digging a hole for each one. I put the dirt for each hole on plastic, then refill the hole using pro-mix, chicken granule fert and dirt. A lot of it has to do with the area your growing in, type of soil, ph of soil and water, hours of sunlight, and having a water source.
    The Johnny Appleseed myth is complete nonsense, at least in this part of the country! Growing outdoors successfully isn't easy, but the rewards can be great and your minimizing coal-based electricity to power an indoor grow.

17. How deep? Just below the surface.

18. ok mister big shot with your spellcheck comment. what are you, my english teacher. keep the subject to what's at hand.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm in the same dilemma I'm in NY and I have trouble selecting a strain. I'm starting the grow indoors under 12 hours of light till it's about six inches tall and then moving it outdoors . Any thoughts on this matter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. just use an auto flower????
    be done in 2 months, or am i missing something here