Strain choices, choices, choices...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by tear-one, May 19, 2006.

1. The application is a first closet, 2x4 ft space, which will be used for SOG for only flowering plants (in 12/12). In a seperate space also 2x4 (in 18/6), there are 3 or 4 clone mothers vegging, from whom cuttings will be taken, rooted, and vegged in the same closet as the clone mothers.

I'm looking for a medium to high yeild, good flavor, and potency (I'm sure these are all big surprises to you). I narrowed it down to

Dr Atomic Atomic Northern Lights
    Dutch Passion Blueberry
    TH Seeds Bubblegum

I think I will get the first two because the third is much more expensive. Can you guys tell me anything about quality or if it will work in the setup above? Thanks

2. Bubblegum is a short plant, has high THC, and a yeild of 300/400.

Blueberry has a very fruity aroma and taste of blueberry. THC = 19.5%

3. i'm also interested in strain choices For the SoG method. the thing is that a lot oF these short plants also grow slowly dont they?

4. Northern Lights is very easy to grow so i've heard. it's my dealers favorite. the high is also quite good, mellow yet intense... you get the munchies bad though

5. hey....So you have these mothers already? if not, are you restricting yourselves to these strains, or open to ideas? Do you like hash/oil/bubble has/kif? What high/flavor do you covet most??...... keep yield in mind, as you are... some of these are only questions you can answer... the gum or the berry fo sho, I would think that the lites would provide a bigger yield, but less in the flavor and high dept.

6. No clone mothers yet, looking at seeds for the clone mothers. The taste desired is fruity or otherwise VERY enjoyable flavor. I like up highs, and again the app is SOG, perhaps SCROG (more research needed for me:p) with 4 plants per sq. ft planned. I'd like 450+ g/m2 but anything near that would be cool. Odor is not an issue in flowering, there is odor control in the flowering space.

The plans are a 400w HPS for veg (current all-purpose light) and there will be added a 600w or maybe 1000w air-cooled HPS for flowering the SOG. The plan is also for clones to be taken, rooted, vegged for a month and then flowered. Hence, thin plants that do well in SOG and also finish fairly quickly are a plus.

Thanks for reading this long ass post like :eek:

7. you dont think the 400 will be enough For Flowering? i thought most the light was needed For vegetative growth

8. First of all, do not veg with a HPS lamp, since it exudes the orange/red spectrum of light which is what plants want during the bloom cycle of its life, this makes it less than idea for this purpose. You want a MH lamp (metal halide) Another thing, vegging a plant for a month makes it less than idea for SOG application. The idea behind SOG is to creat a canopy effect in which most plants are small, even height plants. In my SOG apps, I veg for like a week or 2 at the most. If starting clones in small cups, after transplanting to bigger containers (2-3 gal) they are good to go into flowering. Vegging for a month actually goes against the idea of SOG. Right now I dont have my "big book of buds 1 & 2" - Ed Rosenthal. Im going to have to consult my book before I give you a final answer on strain choice. When I have the info ionfront of me, I will post all the different attributes of each strain that you have posted for consideration, as well as a few othes that I might suggest seeing as how you havent got the seeds yet. Another thing, generally, if you are hoping for that UP high, this is usually a characteristic of a sativa strain, not the small, quick finishing indicas that you are leaning towards. as far as UP high and quick finishing time with moderate yield - something like NYC Diesel might suit, but again, this plant takes between 9-10 weeks to finish, quick for a sativa, maybe too long for you. This plant was bred to be one of the most psychadelic non-HAZE (mmmmm HAZE) plants around.

9. Actually, I have the big book of buds 1 + 2, but I wanted to see if anyone had any actual experience with the strains I'm looking at (oh the days of the Overgrow strainguide) The big book of buds has information from breeders, but I wanted to hear from growers. As for sativas, I may be considering a quality Super Silver Haze, since it won a gang of cannabis cup awards.

And I'm using an HPS for vegging because since the plants will only be vegging for a short time (except the clone donors) I felt it a waste to get a metal halide when HPS could do the job perfectly well (5+ grow manuals I've consulted have all said that HPS will be more than suitable for vegetative growth stage.)

And the reason I call MH a 'waste' is not because it will not get the job done, as I'm sure it would be better for the veg stage. It comes down to the fact that the future plans for the grow could easily change, and having a 600w (maybe 1000w) HPS and 400w HPS seems more flexible than having an HPS and a MH, since HPS make better all-purpose lights.

Anyways, that's my reasoning. Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

10. HPS will work fine for vegging and flowering. They may stretch a tiny bit more than if you used an mh during vegging, but they still work great.